TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned for Life
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brian at Apten has just finished the 4.6 and 5.4 SOHC and DOHC engine cooling modification this simple kit can save your engine as well as allow it to make maximum RWHP by allowing the back cylinders 7/8 and 3/4 run up to 50 degrees cooler, thus allowing for more timing, this kit goes in where the two freeze plugs are in the back of the engine and T in to the heater hoses going to the heater core. You can give him or me about pricing.

http://web.iwebcenters.com/reinhartautomotive/images/session/00-00-1075176383-MVC-270S.jpg

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
thats awsome, do u have the article on how the thing is installed or works or whatever, i think i saw it somewhere

·
Registered
748 Posts
Wished that was out when I re-built my motor last fall. Oh well......gives me something to think about. So many parts.....so little cash.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
I notice that is a PI motor, I know the NPI heads have the Freeze Plugs also, will this adapt to them?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Dr. FrankenCougie said:
I'll take two please. :)
Should I call Dennis or Brian, or have you already done that??? What about Linkey???

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
Dennis Reinhart said:
YES ITS THE EXACT SET UP
I sense a little frustration in your response, is there a problem here with my question?

·
Registered
984 Posts
Opening up another really old thread. I want to do the cylinder head cooling modification on my new engine build. Does anyone know if Apten is still in business? Or where the required parts can be obtained? appreciate any help!

·
Super Moderator
10,289 Posts
This is an old thread, lol!

DR; wow, lol.

The parts are still available; you're basically reusing the piece that's in the other head, and T-ing it in.

Like so:

Note you have to cut the flange slightly, and make a holddown bracket to keep the other side down.

That's the aluminum piece you see. :)

If you have SATC AC, there's a lincoln part that has a bung for the temperature sensor, that's only on dohc engines. :)

I don't have part numbers; they're not on the assemblies. :(

EDIT: I found an old thread:

XR3Z-18B402-DA is the part number for the most common one.

Thread is here:
http://www.tccoa.com/forums/7-engine-4-6l-5-4l/133153-crack-pipe-coolant-mod.html

This thread also has pix of an alternative method, that is a bit easier to do IN-CAR.

Note that the flow is out of the heads, thru the heater core, and back into the valley tube, into the water pump.

The valley tube is the inlet to the water pump. I tend to forget that sometimes. :)

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
won't work with the TFS heads you talk of using.
It doesn't look like the trick flow heads use the same casting left/right like the PI heads do, so the tap method like I did over the coolant path behind the #8 cylinder might not work either. Having trouble finding a top view of the heads so it's hard for me to picture.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
As it turns out, I ended up ordering MHS Phase 2 PI heads rather than TFS. Should have mentioned that!
Then there's two ways to do it. The apten mod, or drill/tap the driver side rear end of the PI intake over where the coolant flow goes. That's how mine is setup.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts