TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a cordless impact wrench, most likely a Makita. I could spend much less, but don't want to cheap out on an import tool. I think a cordless should satisfy my needs

If you have an impact wrench, do you consider it indispensable, or just really nice to have?

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have a Snap-on cordless impact and it's one of the best tools I have ever bought. 450 ft lbs of torque and lithium ion batteries. I've taken lug nuts off with it that most air impacts at work couldn't take off :)

·
Registered
408 Posts
Which Makita isn't made in Japan or China? Japan may have the edge on quality, if those are the wrenchs you've been looking at, but, being a USA citizen, I'd still consider them imports. Oh, nm, I think you meant if you're going to buy import, you don't want an inexpensive import.

Anyway, IMHO, they're mostly a luxury item. If you're in a hurry or are lazy, they're great to have handy. They can also be an alternative to a breaker bar.

You can't use the vast majority of them for accurately torquing high spec nuts (e.g., hub nuts), so you'll still need a good torque wrench.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Really nice to have. Definitely not a necessity. A breaker bar is one of the best tools I've gotten. The impact I use mostly to get the lugs off but a lot of bolts are just too restricted for it.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I like having an impact wrench but found I am limited with WHERE I can use it due to the size. So I end up using sockets and wrenches a lot.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have a Craftsman cordless impact wrench. One of the best tools I've ever invested in as a weekend warrior mechanic. Although, I've become my friend's AAA service when they have flats, lol.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I own and couldn't live without two of them. 1/2 drive and 3/8 drive. mine are both pneumatic, but the air compressor is another gotta have tool.

·
Super Moderator
4,898 Posts
I have a Ingersoll Rand pneumatic (the best of the three), a Harbor Freight electric (does yeoman duty for me), and a "Trades Pro" 24V battery (just the thing to take to the boneyard). Do I NEED them? No, I can get things apart with breakers and cheaters. Do I USE them? Oh, $PROFANITY yes!!! Why bust MY gut when I can use mechanical advantages like impact wrenches? :diablo:

(The "Trades Pro" was bought on a Black Friday for about 75% off MSRP. I'd rather have a good Makita, but eh, couldn't afford.)

RwP

·
Registered
680 Posts
I bought a battery powered Milwaukee one a few years ago on sale. 450lb-ft (or 475lb-ft can't remember) and came with 2 batteries for pretty cheap. The battery one is great because we build a lot of (relatively) heavy duty frames at work, so I can use it there.

The nice thing about the impact, I have found is that it breaks a lot of rusty bolts free a lot easier. Also, with suspension parts you have access to, it is pretty fast. I have now twice lifted a car's end using a breaker bar/jack on a VERY rusty bolt that had 2 weeks of daily penetrating fluid spray and wouldn't break free, yet an impact broke it free almost immediately.

But as it was stated, it's generally more of a luxury than necessity unless you are doing car work for a job (time = money).

Stephen

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I have 1/2-3/8-1/4 snap on battery impacts, also got Mac 1/2-3/8 pneumatic, Milwaukee 3/8-1/4 battery. Use at least one of these every day wouldn't go anywhere without them.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Do pneumatic 1/2" drive wrenches have more torque than the 3/8" drive units?

My 3/8" unit works okay but seems anemic at times.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Do pneumatic 1/2" drive wrenches have more torque than the 3/8" drive units?

My 3/8" unit works okay but seems anemic at times.
Yes, they do. Normally anyways, I'm not saying that they don't make 3/8" drive ones that are just as powerful as some 1/2"s, but normally they don't have as much. for example, my snap-on 1/2" drive cordless has 450ft lbs, while my 3/8" drive cordless has only 150ft lbs. This is cordless of course, but it will be close to the same with pneumatics also

·
Super Moderator
10,392 Posts
I bought a 24V dewalt cordless impact about 15 years ago(, and have replaced the batteries twice,) but almost never use the air impact anymore.

I live in the South, so YMMSV. :)

The last thing I had to get the big tools for was the harmonic balancer bolt, And I ended up with the 3/4" breaker bar on it; with a strap wrench supported by a jackstand holding the balancer, lol. I was Standing on it when it popped loose, IIRC.

:)

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I use a cordless impact at work ( pipe trade ) all the time, the Makita seems to be holding up fairly well. Its an indepensable tool at work, so is the portable bandsaw.

I have a pnumatic impact at home for the bigger bolts with automotive work, but I tend to find myself breaking bolts loose with a wrench and zipping them out with a drill gun. I think a cordless impact would be a great tool for even the average wrencher, as long as youre going to put it to use.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
To me, most suspension work is not possible w/o an impact gun. A good example is that tension rod nut where there is nothing holding the rod steady.

There are a lot of tools that you don't realize their value until you have one, then you wonder how you ever did without it!

Al

·
Registered
384 Posts
I bought a battery powered Milwaukee one a few years ago on sale. 450lb-ft (or 475lb-ft can't remember) and came with 2 batteries for pretty cheap. The battery one is great because we build a lot of (relatively) heavy duty frames at work, so I can use it there.

The nice thing about the impact, I have found is that it breaks a lot of rusty bolts free a lot easier. Also, with suspension parts you have access to, it is pretty fast. I have now twice lifted a car's end using a breaker bar/jack on a VERY rusty bolt that had 2 weeks of daily penetrating fluid spray and wouldn't break free, yet an impact broke it free almost immediately.

But as it was stated, it's generally more of a luxury than necessity unless you are doing car work for a job (time = money).

Stephen
Milwaukee is the bees knees and the cats ass

·
Registered
531 Posts
Impact wrenches are good for removing latch pillar posts on the older muscle cars if you have to. I had to use it on my Torino when repairing the door jamb.

I also used it to break the head off of the lower interior quarter trim sheetmetal screws to remove the trim piece. Both sides were frozen solid due to rust.

I also used it to remove the one of the fasteners on the throttle position sensor on the Underbird. It had a Philips head and was at the point of stripping when I decided to use the impact wrench on it. It came right out.

I always feel like Rambo when I use an impact wrench on anything.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I'm so spoiled since I started using them. It is something that once you use, you will ALWAYS want it! A good (dealer grade) scan tool probably falls into that category as well. You don't absolutely need it, but it is a nice have. I have taken off bolts in weird places that probably would have taken 30 min (with backup wrenches and 1/32 turns) wheras an impact can do it in seconds.

I don't think an alternator pulley bolt can come off without an impact. If it could it would probably be a real PITA to do.

For smaller fasteners a good cordless drill with a clutch and socket adapter works very well.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts