TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because if they are, then couldn't a cracked one be glued together at the water crossover? If that is indeed why I have coolant all over my 4.6 1997's manifold,
I also plan to glue on re-inforcement made from parts of sewer pipe I will be cutting up. Then again, if it's the thermostat housing gasket leaking, I already know my two bolts are locked in place because I couldn't turn them two years ago when I checked them. Has anyone succeeded with a glue job? If so , or not , let me know. And if it's the T housing, will both bolts break as I try to turn them? What is the remedy after I break them for trying to remove them? Can liquid wrench somehow be squirted from underneath first? Throw me a bone! Can the thermostat housing gasket just be damed up with silicone if that is THE only problem? I want removing and replacing the intake manifold to be my last resort, so if you have had any lasting bandages, let me know what they were.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Zytel nylon resin is what they are made of. I think it is the HTN variety.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
i think you can probably have a new intake for under 200 dollars

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
prolly get one for $135 plus shipping.. i think i know a guy

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
two options, 1- keep adding xxxx brand of bandaids or 2- just fix it right and be done with it forever. if it was me, id go option 2

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Ive tried all kinds of different sealers. Nothing works because the crack expands as it gets hotter. Say you put JB weld on it, once as the engine heats up, the JB Weld will crack. I upgraded to a PI intake when mine went and ive never been happier.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
just out of curiosity... Why do you ask?

I've got an NPI manifold with aluminum crossover for sale.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I want removing and replacing the intake manifold to be my last resort, so if you have had any lasting bandages, let me know what they were.
Thanks.
i just want to know why? its seriously about a 2-3 hour job to completely remove and replace it.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
94-95 cars came with an all aluminum intake.

-Miller

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
i just want to know why? its seriously about a 2-3 hour job to completely remove and replace it.

I could probably do it faster, but I've had mine off about 4 times.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I could probably do it faster, but I've had mine off about 4 times.
well to get the n2o crap off it becomes a pita. thats all. yea it can be done much faster, and yes ive done it much faster.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Found the crack.

It's in the flat area that's about 1/2" wide between the thermostat housing and the sensor flange, right on top. The crack is just a little 1/4" long line on that surface. What a shame, because the manifold was new and put on at a shop only three and a half years ago. I tried polyethylene weld and it just rubbed off. I'm in Calif and hope to get an over-the-counter replacement with the aluminum crossover. What's so bad about the Dorman brand? If I decide on a PI replacement for my non-pi 1997 bird, which gasket set has the least chance of failing: PI or Non-PI? And, would a Dorman PI manifold be a good choice, or why not? thanks , edman

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
It's in the flat area that's about 1/2" wide between the thermostat housing and the sensor flange, right on top. The crack is just a little 1/4" long line on that surface. What a shame, because the manifold was new and put on at a shop only three and a half years ago. I tried polyethylene weld and it just rubbed off. I'm in Calif and hope to get an over-the-counter replacement with the aluminum crossover. What's so bad about the Dorman brand? If I decide on a PI replacement for my non-pi 1997 bird, which gasket set has the least chance of failing: PI or Non-PI? And, would a Dorman PI manifold be a good choice, or why not? thanks , edman
you are to use PI gaskets for hte PI manifold. Look at it this way..you can get a new PI manifold for 120-ish....and a Dorman is about the same price. Ill take OEM, thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
was wondering... whats wrong with the all aluminum intakes....... would seem with all the probs with the plastic ones that everyone would want one./..... just askin.....

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
was wondering... whats wrong with the all aluminum intakes....... would seem with all the probs with the plastic ones that everyone would want one./..... just askin.....
94-95 aluminum intakes? other than flowing like crap, they are just fine.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
They don't flow as well as the plastic ones, the EGR passages get clogged up on them, the upper plenum isn't as good as the composite one I don't think either. If they wouldn't have tried to use the same material for the coolant crossover, and something better for the heater hose nipple on the back, then the composite material has lots of good things going for it as what makes up the air portion, runners and plenum of the intake.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts