TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just looking at my engine a bit, and was wondering if there are aftermarket pulley sets for the 4.6L that are a little nicer/more stylish than my currently 13 year old ones.

·
Registered
623 Posts
There are plenty of aftermarket pulleys available for the 4.6. Steeda makes some nice looking ones. If you are talking underdrives, most people prefer the non-piggyback balancer sets although they are more expensive. Make sure you get the first water pump style ones, the cut-off is mid '01 (get the pre-mid '01 set).

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks I'll have to take a look at those, I coudn't turn much up so I asked here :)

I would use underdrive pulleys to gain some HP, but won't that affect my PS pump and A/C output? (I don't use my AC much, but I do use it)

also what do you mean piggyback ?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
"Piggyback" means the smaller pulley is bolted to your factory pulley and the belt goes on the smaller one. the larger one remains to act as a harmonic balancer.

Underdrives will not adversely affect your PS or your A/C. In fact they'll probably thank you. They will end up not working so hard or spinning so fast when you're on the highway (and not needing them quite as much). A set of underdrives will include a crank pully, an alternator pulley, and a water pump pulley. If you're just concerned about appearance you can pull the ones you're concerned about and paint them or have them powdercoated.

·
Banned
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I wouldn't want to do piggyback, it just doesn't seem like the "right" way to do the job.

driller: what year mustang parts would I be looking at, the 95-96 mustang stuff? or is it 99-04 mustang stuff that fits on the 96 4.6L engine?

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Usually you're looking for the 96-04 Mustang stuff.. but since you're looking for pullies, make sure they are from 96-early 01 so that you don't get the newer style water pump pully

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Similar topic came up on SCCOA, and they say Wazee pulley don't have much life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts