TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first I thought I had an ignition switch problem until I pull the actual switch out and find that it works fine. Then I call the local garage and tell them what I have going on only to get the information that the rod that attaches the key assembly to the switch is held in place by way of a small thin aluminum clip, and to get to this clip, the entire column would need to be disassembled to get to it, and that Ford still carries the part because it is a common failing. And it will cost between $150.00 and $200.00 in labor, and $10 to $12 for the part. So, to my question, has anyone done this, what is the procedure, and what all tools will I need Please? Oh yeah, could you please stop laughing, it might sound funny to you but for me it sucks.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
At first I thought I had an ignition switch problem until I pull the actual switch out and find that it works fine. Then I call the local garage and tell them what I have going on only to get the information that the rod that attaches the key assembly to the switch is held in place by way of a small thin aluminum clip, and to get to this clip, the entire column would need to be disassembled to get to it, and that Ford still carries the part because it is a common failing. And it will cost between $150.00 and $200.00 in labor, and $10 to $12 for the part. So, to my question, has anyone done this, what is the procedure, and what all tools will I need Please? Oh yeah, could you please stop laughing, it might sound funny to you but for me it sucks.
Can't help with your problem, but that is nothing compared to the blend door issue on the Mark VIII's: $45 piece, $1200 labor bill (latest quote for a dealership about 8 months ago) :beek:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I didn't go to the dealership for a price, (I aint got any astroglide) so I can't tell youi what their price would have been.:zdunno:

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,576 Posts
It's been done before, Trunk Monkey actually got a good writeup on it: http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=105435

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
I had that problem one time. Ya know what I did? Found someone on here that would sell me a whole steering column. Picked it up for $50, swapped my stuff over, done in an hour.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Can't help with your problem, but that is nothing compared to the blend door issue on the Mark VIII's: $45 piece, $1200 labor bill (latest quote for a dealership about 8 months ago) :beek:
I did my last Blend door actuator replacement on a 95 Mark in about 2-3 hours .. that is crazy.

As for the steering column ... Ive repaired similar issues - the actuator rod had the Pin fall out of it - I had to take the whole column out, and completely disassemble it to put the pin back in. Took me about 2-3 hours as well - its a little tricky. I think the only tools were basic tools and maybe a punch.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I did my last Blend door actuator replacement on a 95 Mark in about 2-3 hours .. that is crazy.
Me too! I did the whole blend door before my cousin even finished the LH valve cover on the Mark! If I could get $1800 for that I would have alot more fun things :D

I have replaced the part on a 96 F350 and it wasnt terribly bad, just took some time and I believe I had to separate the column at the tilt joint after I pulled the whole thing out of the truck, but it has been so long i cant totally remember. The writeup on here is very good too. I remember reading it.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Yeah the steering column isnt so bad .. as long as it isnt like the Telescoping type on the 97/98 Mark's and other newer vehicles. Those are not fun to work on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts