TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So - my tinkering around under the hood revealed I'm losing coolant, albeit slowly. I removed a spark plug to check my gap and notice the electrode was 'frosted' white... the tale-tell sign of coolant in the combustion chamber. This discovery raised alarm bells in my mind so i proceeded to remove ALL plugs to inspect them and unfortunately every plug had that 'frosted over' look to it. There is no coolant in the oil so I'm sorta thinking the heads aren't cracked but most likely the gasket is done for or on it's way.
Currently I'm throwing no codes and the car still moves when demanded. The plugs (NGK Iridiums) have only been in since August when I installed Screamin' Demon coil packs and FRPP plug wires. I have noticed over time that I have slowly been losing coolant; once a month I have to add maybe a cup of coolant to the resevoir to bring it to level.

At 173k miles this is expected.. I'm pushing for 200k and then will be retiring the Cougar.

(My apologies moderator - just now realize this post should probably be moved to "General Tech".)

·
Registered
239 Posts
is it running rough? i was passing coolant through intake manifold gasket. it was sipping through the thermostat housing and it was getting my #5 spark plug wet w/ coolant, but my car was ruunning real crappy.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Frosted white plugs are just telltale signs of plugs with carbon on them with high cylinder temperatures. You just need to change your plugs a little bit more often I'm sure! If you are going to get rid of that thing at 200k, post it up on here! The cougar I just sold had 387000 on it and is still running with no smoke or leaks. Your car is just getting broken in.
-Rob

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is it running rough? i was passing coolant through intake manifold gasket. it was sipping through the thermostat housing and it was getting my #5 spark plug wet w/ coolant, but my car was ruunning real crappy.
No, car isn't running rough at all. no codes, no smoke, nothing to indicate she's in bad shape or about to take a turn for the worse. I spend every weekend looking her over pretty good and performing upkeep on what needs addressed.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Frosted white plugs are just telltale signs of plugs with carbon on them with high cylinder temperatures. You just need to change your plugs a little bit more often I'm sure! If you are going to get rid of that thing at 200k, post it up on here! The cougar I just sold had 387000 on it and is still running with no smoke or leaks. Your car is just getting broken in.
-Rob

haven't decided yet what's going to happen once she hits 200k. My wife thinks I should keep her since the car has been apart of our 'history' since I first got the car in July 2000 and I do have room in a shed out back to park her too. If I sell it... I'm definitly going through TCCOA because I prefer to keep this Cougar within the 'family'. I have no doubts my girl will be in good hands with TCCOA members. :tongue:

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
I just checked my plugs, the electrodes have a frosted white color to them after 10,000 miles. These are Autolite AR764's. The passenger side plugs were more white than the drivers' side.
Passenger side plugs were all like this.

Drivers' side plugs were all like this one below.

·
3,734 Posts
I'd bet a $6 bill that you're running ridiculously lean, or just a lil bit lean a lot of the time.
That might actually explain why I ping on 87. I also just replaced my O2 sensors about 2,500 miles ago. Fuel filter was also replaced around the same time. I Seafoam it every 10,000 miles. I've been wanting to get this thing tuned for a while, but just can't justify it yet.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
That might actually explain why I ping on 87. I also just replaced my O2 sensors about 2,500 miles ago. Fuel filter was also replaced around the same time. I Seafoam it every 10,000 miles. I've been wanting to get this thing tuned for a while, but just can't justify it yet.
If it is, the real question is: why is it running lean? Your exhaust could also be plugged up causing some pinging.

·
3,734 Posts
the real question is: why is it running lean?
I'll check the vacuum here in a sec to find out if that's it. I've replaced the vacuum lines to the canister hard line on the passenger side. The only thing left is the hard red/ green emissions lines. I'll laugh if it's something that stupid.

Edit: Vacuum reads at 21 inHg. I have no codes active. I'll check the vacuum more tomorrow and see if I have any leaks.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I just checked my plugs, the electrodes have a frosted white color to them after 10,000 miles. These are Autolite AR764's. The passenger side plugs were more white than the drivers' side.
Passenger side plugs were all like this.

Drivers' side plugs were all like this one below.
That is EXACTLY what my spark plugs look like on my 1995 before I did all my mods. I haven't checked them lately, but I'd like to think that after the pi swap and vacuum leak fixes the plugs are a little more on the tan side.

:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts