TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sir, William. Could you lock the 4.2 swap post I made? Maybe making it sticky or archiving it might be nice...

Thanks!

PJ

·
Registered
195 Posts
so with a 96 u can use the mustang intake since it has distributerless? sp

If so how do you delete the dist on the engine itself?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 4.2 uses DIS in stock form. It has a crank angle sensor instead of a distributor. I took the sensor out and put my distributor in.

PJ

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Welcome Back PJ! wonderful artical there!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, guys. I'm all settled in Oxnard now. I just need to find a job as soon as possible. Besides that, I have my work cut-out for me. I need to finish some body-work on my RX-7 and then some body work on my girlfriend's '92 GT. After that, I will be re-torquing the timing cover on the T-Bird. It seems like the work never ends...

PJ

·
Administrator
8,246 Posts
PJ, Thanks! :thumbsup:

Joe

·
Registered
218 Posts
Terrific Article PJ! You presented us with all the information I needed to know, and it reads like a Haynes repair manual.

Sir William - If PJ agrees, I think this article should be posted under the engine tech articles section. There isn't anything there for us V6 guys now. :(

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a few tweaks to take care of... typos, numerical figures (thanks, G.E.), etc. I have the article in .doc format and html/vB script I used on this board. If anyone sees anything missing, or want something better explained, please let me know so I can improve it.

PJ

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
PJ,

Do you want to go into any more depth on why you chose the distributor over the DIS? Simply for the manual timimg adjust at the track or are there other (using stock EEC) issues?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To use DIS I would need an EEC from a car with DIS-- like the truck's or an SC, or laet model Mustang...
My reasons for not using DIS:
a: I was not willing to spend the extra cash/time replacing EECs, harnesses, etc. Just keeping it simple.
b: I wanted there to be a reason for owning the Cobra R hood :D (keeping the truck intake was not a big deal
c: I wanted to maintain ability to adjust timing in case of problems, or if I was planning on running better/worse fuel in hotter temps.

Besides, I had read something on v6power.net saying that the truck intake was better for boosted applications, and it made the choice easy.

Keep on posting Qs here, I will add them to the article.

PJ

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
PJ-4.2L said:
To use DIS I would need an EEC from a car with DIS-- like the truck's or an SC, or laet model Mustang...
My reasons for not using DIS:
a: I was not willing to spend the extra cash/time replacing EECs, harnesses, etc. Just keeping it simple.
b: I wanted there to be a reason for owning the Cobra R hood :D (keeping the truck intake was not a big deal
c: I wanted to maintain ability to adjust timing in case of problems, or if I was planning on running better/worse fuel in hotter temps.

Besides, I had read something on v6power.net saying that the truck intake was better for boosted applications, and it made the choice easy.

PJ
hhmmm, a little of both and then some... ok, a few more clarifications then.

a. If I just happen to have a '91 auto SC parts car in the driveway I could probably use the EEC from that? Then it's only the time to change the harnesses? Not simple but not impossible either...

b. Granted, that's a good reason and your car looks way better than mine. But that hood cost more than my parts car (less transport) and I'm a cheapskate who's too old to be getting girls with his car, cash in the wallet talks louder these days. ;)

c. Why not an EEC tuner for timing adjustments? Too many $$$ or not one avail for application?

·
Administrator
8,246 Posts
PJ-4.2L said:
PJ [/B]
Could you have used the 99+ Mustang throttle cable instead of the 4.2 truck cable?

Joe

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Doodaa: The SC EEC should work as long as you get a chip programmed for the new setup. If you use that and DIS, you will be able to run the Mustang intake and stock hood. I won't be able to help you, however, with setting up the MSD RPM switch since I hooked it up to my ignition coil. I think the DIS has multiple coils... (am I right?) I am sure there is still a way to hook the switch up anyways.

As far as the EEC tuner, it's a possibility, but the distributor is a little quicker for immediate changes (I think). Money was an issue, but sooner or later I will have an MSD ignition setup which will allow me to adjust timing on the fly from within the car. I haven't had any pinging problems yet, and I don't know if I am improving power with timing tweaks until I get it on a dyno- at which point it will make more sense to let the pros dyno tune it.

Rodeo Joe: I think that the crucial matter is that you get a throttle cable that matches your throttle linkage and bracket-- so if you choose the truck t-body and intake, get the truck cable. If you have a Mustang intake with its corresponding TB, use the Mustang cable. Since I didn't mess with the Mustang stuff, I really can't say for sure.

·
Administrator
8,246 Posts
PJ,
I was thinking on those same lines also. I'm planning on a Mustang split port swap head sometime next year, and figured I'd need to go with the Mustang cable. Thanks for your input. ;)

Joe

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Well, I'm no expert on DIS, just seems like it might be a better way to go for me ... I guess I'll give it a shot and see what happens. Worse that can happen is it won't run until I figure it out :)

Can the chip guys maybe add IMRC function to that '91 EEC?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Even if you could program the EEC to trigger it, you would need to have some custom wire harnesses... The RPM switch isn't really that hard or costly (50 bucks for unit and a few more for the pills).

PJ

·
Registered
460 Posts
One littel nit picky thing. You said in your artical that the 96+ N/A V6 have DIS. Well my 96 dosen't have DIS, I got a big distibuter instead.

Other than that good job, I just might make that swap if I ever get the cash saved up.

:bowdown: You are now my new personal hero.

·
Administrator
8,246 Posts
Jemplayer said:
Well my 96 dosen't have DIS, I got a big distibuter instead.
Hmm, you're the first I've ever heard had one. I thought Ford changed all the 3.8 to DIS after 95. :2huh:

Joe

1 - 20 of 28 Posts