TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am cancelling the order at CarParts.com because I would like to install the things before Xmas...anyway

I have a set of pullies coming but I think the ALternator pulley is a different size than it is supposed to be for our cars. I bought them fro ma guy with a GT but the part number for the GT and TBird is the same at the ASP website but the alternator pullies are not the same size. I forgot the sizes.

I have read a few places that the alternator pullies with the kits are the same size as stock so do I even need to worry about changing out the alternator pulley?

Now I want it to work right and get the most out of the set but if the stock pulley is the same as the underdrive alternator pulley then it doesn't matter.

what I need to know is if the underdrive sets alternator pullies are or are not the same?????

anyone know?

Mike

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
I got mine off a mustang and the alternator pulley was the exact same size, but it would not fit onto the alternator post, so I just left the stock alt. pulley on and everything went fine.

·
Automatic Weapon
1,219 Posts
Yep. Sure can, if you want to. I did not have a choice.
However, if the new one is smaller, put it on for that little bit of performance gain.....just because you want every bit of torque freed up that you can possible squeeze out of her! :D

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
MZ-Bird said:
I am cancelling the order at CarParts.com because I would like to install the things before Xmas...anyway
That sucks, I ordered mine from there on 7/19 and got them on 7/25

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
I know you have to pay attention to your voltage meer when you have U/D pullies on, but what about when you leave the stock alternator pully on? Will it still charge fully sitting in drive at a stop light?

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
AverageJoe said:
I know you have to pay attention to your voltage meer when you have U/D pullies on, but what about when you leave the stock alternator pully on? Will it still charge fully sitting in drive at a stop light?
No it won't fully charge at idle, the cam pully is underdriving everything, with the alt pully and the waterpump pully you only make it do moreso on those.

·
Registered
621 Posts
ShadowDragon said:

No it won't fully charge at idle, the cam pully is underdriving everything, with the alt pully and the waterpump pully you only make it do moreso on those.
If you're really worried about getting stuck, trade in your current battery, and get a deep cycle one.

BTW, Big Al, about that pulley not fitting, was it a OE Mustang GT pulley, or an aftermarket one?

·
Registered
81 Posts
ok, i know what the crank pulley does, but the other two are confusing me......can someone tell me if i got this right then......

alt pulley + Crank pulley = less hp than JUST the Crank pulley, but better recharge of battery?

and what's the water pump pulley for?

thanks!

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Ok, you have three pullies.

Alt
Water Pump
Crank

The crank pulley is smaller, so it turns all of your accessories slower. The Water Pump and Alt pullies are bigger so they turn their respective accessories slower. Hence, everything is underdriven. You get best effect from using all three, but you can use any combination of stock and U/D pullies you want, but you might have to go to a different belt, I'm not too sure on that one.

When you U/D the Water pump, it pumps slower, and will cause the car to run a little warmer. When you U/D the alt, it isn't putting out as much juice, and doesn't charge the battery as well. Make sense now?

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
for everyones knowledge

if anyone cares.. we checked steeda's u/d pulley with the stock alt pulley, and steeda's was barely smaller... that and the shop couldn't find the right socket to pull the pulley off, so we just left it...

JD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts