TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few of you may recall that when you put in an aftermarket stereo when you have automatic climate control, your climate controls get messed up. But only if the new stereo doesn't have an input for the dimmer wire. The CC problems consisted of the LCD being too dim to read and the controls not lighting up, but otherwise working normally. After some experimentation by myself, it was generally accepted that the safest fix was to remoev the green dimmer control wire from the CC wiring harness. Simple enough, no? It would make your LD run at bull bright at all times, and that was a simple workaround for a probelm to which we had no solution.

I've found the solution.

If take your CC unit out and pull off the big black plastic cover, you can look inside at all the electronics and see 2 gray bulb sockets. Thankx to ShadowDragon, I now know that those bulbs in your CC can be replaced, because my control knobs haven't lit up in months. So I replaced those two bulbs and hooked the dimmer wire back up and now everything works normally. Even with my Clarion stereo in it. I'm sure why it acts this way, but it does.

I'm linking this picture, hopefully, with ShadowDragon's permission. If you see this SD and don't want me linking your pic, either edit this post or let me know and I'll edit this post.

·
Slacks 12 months a year, TCCoAAC Member
2,530 Posts
Installed my aftermarket Pioneer....

about a month ago and have no problems.
Chris

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mine works....

Installed my Pioneer P630 two years ago, and installed a DEH-830MP as a replacement a little over 2 months ago, and have never had an issue with dimming of my CC lights... Everything works like it should, including the auto dim of the Pioneer display at night with the headlights... If you ask me its just Clarion thats the problem.. :cool:

-mj

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do notice a little trend of Pioneer among you guys. ;) Do your pioneer decks have an input for the factory dimmer wire? My Clarion doesn't. But just thought I'd add this to the knowledge base...

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
heh...

Pioneer here too. No probs, and yes it has the dimming line...

Joel

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My guess is that since it has the dimmer feed, that's why you haven't had problems. Just throwing this out for those of us that buy stereos that don't have dimmer feeds.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Panasonic

I have a panasonic and have had no problems. I didn't use the dimmer feed, I have a dimmer on the cd reciever itself. Thats a good idea though AverageJoe. I will keep that in mind if my lights dim or go out, hey maybe I can change them to blue? Just the ones on the knobs. What buld size are they???

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, since I didn't happen to look, I can either go back tomorrow and get the part number for you, or you can just pull them out and go compare sizes. If you go the parts store, you won't find them in a book, you just have to do an eyeball comparison. As for blue, they're just clear bulbs, althought Shadow Dragon could tell you exactly how to make the entire CC setup blue. Even his LCD is blue. Go ahead SD, show him, I know you've got pics. ;)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Thanks

Thats okay I will poke around, LETS see thoes pics Shadow Dragon!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,978 Posts
Yeah, I would REALLY like to make my cc blue. How do you do it and can we see your pics please? Did you get a custom blue backlit LCD made?
-Thomas

·
Registered
621 Posts
Re: Mine works....

n0esc said:
Installed my Pioneer P630 two years ago, and installed a DEH-830MP as a replacement a little over 2 months ago, and have never had an issue with dimming of my CC lights... Everything works like it should, including the auto dim of the Pioneer display at night with the headlights... If you ask me its just Clarion thats the problem.. :cool:

-mj
I dunno, my CC controls work fine, and they're lit up at night. I have a Clarion DXZ615.

·
5w30 Guzzler
1,462 Posts
my sony doesnt have a dimmer either. the fan control speed on my CC doesnt light up at all. so are you saying it's the lack of dimmer on my head, or i have a bulb out?

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, if both bulbs go out, then your CC LCD screen will get REALLY dim. Just pull the CC unit out, and take it apart. Take those two gray bulb holders out, take the bulbs out and go to the parts store. Find a set that are closest in size and pop them int your unit. Then, both knobs and all the buttons will light up and everything will work peachy keen. :)

·
Administrator
14,226 Posts
Alright, here we go.. heh

I have never seen these bulbs in colors, they are way too small. The size is 37 or BP2.

Now for the fun stuff...

While I had the cluster part of the dash off I decided to modify the shift indicator and other lights to be blue instead of green.

I took the black trim piece out (which requires the center console and the cluster area trim to be removed) and unhooked the clock, unscrewed it, popped off the green plastic on the front of it and super glued a sandwhich of clear/blue/blue/clear plastic in it's place.

Then I took the shifter knob and selector indicator off, cracked open the plastic and took out the printed plastic, scraped the green off the black and placed two layers of blue plastic behind it before replacing.

The LCD of the climate control is super easy, pull the knobs off, peel off the plastic sticker of a display and the green plastic in front of the LCD will come off with it. I again replaced this with layers of clear/blue/blue/clear plastic.

Now for the knobs themselves you can get a small screwdriver and push the white piece of plastic out, scrape it off and do what you want with it. I superglued a layer of blue plastic over the end and pushed it back into the knob.

For the indicators it's a bit more hard as you A) have to get that climate control out and work those stupid Ford clips holding the vaccum lines on. and B) unscrew the PCB from the rest of the unit. In the picture above just up and towards center of the blue circles you can see two of the screws which are like a t-5 bit. There is also one along the top towards the right side.

Once you get those off and the rest of the faceplate off, you can see some green/white plastic behind the faceplate where the indicators would be, and will likely fall out in the process. Just cut more blue plastic the same shape and put it all back together. Make sure the screws are all the way tight or you won't be able to use the cool/hot/outside temp buttons.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Cool

Glad to see some ppl that arent afraid of finding out how things work. I took my gauges apart and used paint instead of plastic. Also my CC doesnt work b/c of my stereo. But none of it matters b/c i have a whole new plan for my bird :)

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Cool

LizGyrl said:
Glad to see some ppl that arent afraid of finding out how things work. I took my gauges apart and used paint instead of plastic. Also my CC doesnt work b/c of my stereo. But none of it matters b/c i have a whole new plan for my bird :)
Did you read the original post by me in this thread? When I put in my Clarion, it sent my CC all screwy, but I've found the solution to fix it! :)

·
Administrator
14,226 Posts
Paint wouldn't work on the LCDs though unless it was some strange translusent paint that somehow filtered the original green plastic on top of making it whatever color as the gauges and position indicators are just diffused it would be darker using solid paint but still change the color. The LCD readouts however you don't want to diffuse as you want to be able to make out the numbers.

Of course with all the neon I doubt the dimming of the gauges and such is all that noticeable.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts