TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has our cars made it to the point of being rare? This summer, I have had more thumbs up, more people comment on my car in person and more burn out requests at the local cruises than ever. Nothing has changed on outside of my car, it isn't a museum piece. It looks every bit of 20 years old.

I am sure it is different in the South where cars tend to stick around longer, but here in the Midwest, many of them are gone. You can go days without seeing a MN12 on the road.

What has been your experience?

·
̇
3,702 Posts
In the Midwest it's getting more, and more rare every year to see an MN12 Thunderbird that hasn't been abused..

The MN12 Cougar on the other hand are mostly owned by old people..So I tend to see those more of those in good shape..

Whenever I see an MN12..Even if it is beat down I smile, and wonder what sort of life it's lived..

Often times I'll take a picture if I see an MN12 no matter the condition..

There was this one time I was taking a picture of this guys Cougar, and he was like "hey, what are you doing?".. :D

I just complimented him on his car, and he was cool with that..

I usually get a "what kind of car is that look".. :tongue:

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
9,171 Posts
here in the Midwest, many of them are gone. You can go days without seeing a MN12 on the road.

What has been your experience?
Yes indeed. I often go several WEEKS without ever seeing another MN12 or FN10.

A couple weeks ago I was cruising home in the Mark 8 and a guy in a gen 2 passed me going the other way; as he got closer he flashed his high beams at me in what I'm certain was a gesture of "Hello fellow Mark VIII owner!". I get no such attention in the bird.

The last year I've had eh, at least a few people comment on my car at gas stations/parking lots. I've not taken it to any cruise-ins this year yet though (mostly due to the wonky unfinished interior); when I go I tend to caravan with my dad in his 76 TA and park next to him but he's been rebuilding the engine due to an overheat a couple years ago. Hopefully he gets it back together so we can hit a couple places before the season ends this year. :)

·
Super Moderator
16,814 Posts
I've taken mine to summer cruise nights on and off since I've owned it the last 10 years. Back when I first bought the car circa July 05 I'd get looks from people like I parked it in the wrong lot and am taking up space real classics deserved, and I noticed it got passed up a lot by attendees. Because of that I always since sort of surveyed the lot, only deciding to bring my car in if there were many open spaces. These last few years however I often see people stopping to look, peer under the hood, look through the windows, point at stuff for their their friends/family to see as if it were an interesting old car at a show. I never experienced that before :tongue:

So yeah I think the vastly increased scarcity has definitely made them less invisible to the general public, plus with less and less beater examples rolling around, our nice club cars aren't getting dragged down by association anymore. The peak beater stage of these cars seems to have mostly passed.

Plus these cars really look dated now, in a good way. Circa 2005 these still mostly blended into the carscape, but now in 2015, with 99% of cars being 4 doors with high beltlines and trunklines or CUVs, these MN12s look like 1970s products with more aero, which given the E24/Sixth Gen Riviera like styling cues, is pretty accurate. When you combine that with the relative lack of them on the roads anymore(I'd say I see maybe 1 every two weeks max) they definitely turn more heads.

·
Lightly Seasoned
717 Posts
I have also gotten more thumbs up lately. The other day I was at a stoplight and some guys was staring at my car and giving me a thumbs up as he was slowly moving forward and almost tapped the car in front of him

·
Administrator
8,006 Posts
I see nothing around here for T-Birds, but the Cougars and Mark VIIIs seem to have held up better. Most of the shows I attend, mine is the only MN-12 there. I'd probably get more props if it had a 4.6 under the hood, but it is what it is! :D

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts