TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Pimp in denial
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since my Hamer broke I've been looking into getting a new guitar and was pondering the possibilities of a 7 string. My main train of thought for this was that some of the newer music that is coming out a lot of it is down tuned pretty low (to include using Baritone guitars). So I was wondering if any of you had one and what kind you had? I was thinking about a Schecter 007 Elite . The only other company I found that sold 7 strings was Ibanez and only in that did I find just one. I thought ESP sold some but didn't see any on their site. I wanted to play songs that were in Baritone tuning but not have to spend the money to buy another electric to go with that one.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Ibanez makes at least 3 different current models and theres at least 1 discontinued model. Most of the big names out there make at least 1 model of 7 string or have at some point, just check out their company websites to see what they offer. And finally if you really wanna go extreme, theres Warr guitars, a company that specializes in 8 - 14 string guitar/basses. They are very unique instruments, but their top end instrument is basically a 7 string guitar and a 7 string bass all on one neck. A lot of poeple think they are dumb, but i would trade anything (except my bird of course :) ) for one of them.

http://www.warrguitars.com/

Greg

·
Pimp in denial
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I searched a lot of websites (Fender, ESP, Ibanez, Yamaha) and I really didn't find anything. I know there are more out there but I haven't really come across anything. I still can't make a definite decision until I actually get the chance to play one.

I'm checking out those Warr Guitars and those are some crazy looking guitars. I think I'll stick with a more traditional looking one even thought something like that would be cool to have. Plus I think I'd have to relearn somethings over again using a 14 string guitar.

And the search continues...

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
i personally dont like the idea of 7 string guitars, only a few bands use them: korn, mushroomhead, trapt.... if you want a really nice baritone, look at Mike Mushoks baritone guitar... Ibanez MMM1. It looks really nice

·
Only you can prevent modular fires
1,446 Posts
7=sucky I love my 6 strings
A nice vintage beat up Strat rules.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Heheheh... you want a deep guitar tone? Try one of these!

It's an 8 string guitar, custom made for the guitar players in Meshuggah. The guttural growl is from the depths of hell itself. :ztoohot: If you've ever heard their "Nothing" album, you know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
i dunno, i guess it depends on the type of music you want to play. personally i dont like the 7 strings. it seems like just a fad thats kinda fading. i have a good friend, and he is one of the most talented people ive ever seen pickup a guitar, and he got rid of his 7 string a long time ago. his complaint, besides the uselessness of the 7th string, was that he couldnt get a true whole clean sound out of it, it just had a constant new metal like tone. he has since switch to a schecter and i think his other guitar is a les paul.. both 6 strings. with a decent 6 string guitar you can pretty much any sound you want out of it, the 7 string just seems pretty limiting. most that ive heard have similar tones. and besides, to me, the "low" sounding music those bands put out jsut seems so overdone, simple minded, and boring. they rely too much on the lower string to fill empty spaces that could better be filled, i guess its the easy way out from trying to put too much effort or use of talent into a song. music is all about blending the meaning of the song with ones effort, their creativity, and originality. i dunno if many people understand what im saying, but thats my $0.02 and im sticking to it. lol. anyways, good luck on finding a suitable replacement, picking the right guitar for you is more important than getting something "cool" (not saying thats why you want that guitar). -greg

·
Registered
83 Posts
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong. I'm not really a fan of more than 6 strings either, although there are some good bands that use them. (Meshuggah, Unearth...:)) My band is metal/hardcore (metalcore, really) but none of us like the sound of anything but a 6 string, in standard tuning, for our music. That's just what we are. And personal playing preferences.

This is my main guitar, and main rig:

A 2003 Blue Voodoo 120H, retubed with GT-EL34's, hardness rating 7.

Mesa Boogie 4x12" rectifier cabinet with Celestion Vintage 30's, 280 watts.

ESP MH-301 6-string, with EMG HZ-4 humbuckers.

Pretty brutal sounding, or can be clean and warm. I love it!

-Nate B

·
Registered
686 Posts
Nate -- does the mesa cab sound a lot better than the BV cab with that amp. Im pretty sure both use the celestion 30's. Or is does the BV use celestion 90's? I was gonna buy a blue voodoo, but decided to hold out till i can afford a dual rec heheh. Just a little bit more in price heh.

Greg

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think they do. The BV 412's are nice cabinets, and the Celestion 30's are the same that are in the Mesa. What makes the Mesa more impressive is it's construction. The way the enclosure is built makes for a very massive and full tone, that is unmatched by anything except maybe some Marshalls. Even then, I still prefer the Mesa. The Mesa is bigger and heavier than the Crate, which with speakers, usually means better.
Not to mention, the Blue Voodoo head is a little thin sounding anyway, so you need all the help you can get. The Mesa easily compensates for it. Although retubing to EL-34's made a big difference in tone. Fatter, heavier, and smoother. If you play metal, definately switch from the stock 6L6's to EL-34's, hardness #4 - #7 (7 being the heaviest I think).

Specs:

Blue Voodoo 412:

31"x30"x14", 75 lbs.

Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier:

32 7/8"x 30 1/4" x 14 1/4" 123 lbs.!!!

Hope this helped!

-Nate

·
Registered
460 Posts
If your handy you can go to warmoth guitars and buy the parts to build yourself a baritone 7 string :headbang:

Personaly I like to thow on some 12's and tune my jem to drop b. Which is like drop D but tuned down a step and a half.

The thing with going so low is that I had to add a bass amp with a 15 to my setup, but my guitar amp is an open back 12 so not much bass to begin with. So I sucked out all the bass in the 12 and took some of the highs out of the bass amp and it sounds bad ***.

Granted if giving the chance to get a Mesa Boggie half stack I would but I sone have 3500.

·
Pimp in denial
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
glowing escape said:
i dunno, i guess it depends on the type of music you want to play. personally i dont like the 7 strings. it seems like just a fad thats kinda fading.
The 7 string just seems pretty limiting. most that ive heard have similar tones. and besides, to me, the "low" sounding music those bands put out jsut seems so overdone, simple minded, and boring. they rely too much on the lower string to fill empty spaces that could better be filled, i guess its the easy way out from trying to put too much effort or use of talent into a song. music is all about blending the meaning of the song with ones effort, their creativity, and originality. i dunno if many people understand what im saying, but thats my $0.02 and im sticking to it. lol. anyways, good luck on finding a suitable replacement, picking the right guitar for you is more important than getting something "cool" (not saying thats why you want that guitar). -greg
I understand with what you are saying and I agree on just about 99% of it. I tried a 7 string a couple of years ago and didn't really grasp the whole idea of it. Years later and with more experience I can begin to grasp what it can be used for. My main thinking is that I can get a two for one type of deal. IMO a lot of good songs have come out using Barry's, dropped C, etc.. and I feel that using a standard 6 string kind of limits you to have far you can go. I have down tuned mine before to try and get that low C but I don't know if my tuner sucked or I just couldn't get it right but I never got a good feeling about tuning it that low. This would kind of make it easier. Who knows, I may pick one up and fall in love with it and can make some gooduse out of it or I can pick it up and say, "this sucks!" and just go buy my ESP EC-1000. But thanks for the feedback and I'll keep y'all updated on what I decide to do.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
a possible cause of it not feeling right tuned down that low could be too small a string size or a too small scale neck. My destroyer (24.75" scale) w/ 9-42's couldnt handle half step down drop D. I changed it to 10-46's and it got rid of most of my problems, it just needs setup now.

·
Pimp in denial
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ZackG said:
a possible cause of it not feeling right tuned down that low could be too small a string size or a too small scale neck. My destroyer (24.75" scale) w/ 9-42's couldnt handle half step down drop D. I changed it to 10-46's and it got rid of most of my problems, it just needs setup now.
I normally do buy either 10 or 11's. What would you recommend if I wanted to tune it to a raised "B" tuning? It's almost not worth it because I know a capo works well in the only two songs I know that are in B tuning but was curious to know if you knew a good setup. I think I got to the last two strings and one broke, which led to a other things breaking.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
What would you recommend if I wanted to tune it to a raised "B" tuning?
i have noooo idea, i've never tuned any higher than standard really. You could always buy a regular set of strings and use the A string for the E string and so forth. But at the end your goin to have to use a smaller string

·
Only you can prevent modular fires
1,446 Posts
( I know the room is a mess a damn thunderbird drove through the wall!)All this talk of guitars makes me want 2 post a pic I know I have the most beat up one here! Try to beat me! At least most beat up that still is playable!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Well,... if you do decide to stay 6 string, I am selling a brand new 03' American Fender Deluxe Fat Strat. Retail on it is $1699. I am lookin to get $1000 even for it. If I can sell this,... I will have the fund acquired for BOOST!!! Anywho,... just throwin it out there,... e-mail me at [email protected] if u want specs or know somebody who might want it.

·
Pimp in denial
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
reaper said:
Well,... if you do decide to stay 6 string, I am selling a brand new 03' American Fender Deluxe Fat Strat. Retail on it is $1699. I am lookin to get $1000 even for it. If I can sell this,... I will have the fund acquired for BOOST!!! Anywho,... just throwin it out there,... e-mail me at [email protected] if u want specs or know somebody who might want it.
Oddly enough I'm going to try and sell my Taylor 355ce that I bought for $1699 and am trying to sell for an even grand as well. Thanks for the offer but I think I'm going to try and stay as close to $800 or lower as possible.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Nate Bush said:
I think they do. The BV 412's are nice cabinets, and the Celestion 30's are the same that are in the Mesa. What makes the Mesa more impressive is it's construction. The way the enclosure is built makes for a very massive and full tone, that is unmatched by anything except maybe some Marshalls. Even then, I still prefer the Mesa. The Mesa is bigger and heavier than the Crate, which with speakers, usually means better.
Not to mention, the Blue Voodoo head is a little thin sounding anyway, so you need all the help you can get. The Mesa easily compensates for it. Although retubing to EL-34's made a big difference in tone. Fatter, heavier, and smoother. If you play metal, definately switch from the stock 6L6's to EL-34's, hardness #4 - #7 (7 being the heaviest I think).

Specs:

Blue Voodoo 412:

31"x30"x14", 75 lbs.

Mesa Boogie Standard Rectifier:

32 7/8"x 30 1/4" x 14 1/4" 123 lbs.!!!

Hope this helped!

-Nate
Yea i was wondering how much difference there was in sound, the only way i can hear them is at guitar center. And their BV display is far away from their mesa so i cant try the BV amp with the mesa cabs. So the only way i can hear the mesa stack is with a mesa head...which IMO the Dual Rectifier amp blows away anything ive ever heard.... Which playing on a mesa for the first time killed any desire i had to get a BV amp LOL. For now im stuck with my GLX crate combo, it will drive a half stack and sounds pretty nice for 400 bucks + 1/4" cable cost :)

Greg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts