TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new rifle to hunt with this fall. I know for sure that it will be a Savage Model 710 but I am not certain of the caliber. I will be using it for deer and black bear mostly but with the possibility of a moose hunt. I am trying to decide between a .270, .30-06 or a 7mm Mag. I won't be shooting through a lot of heavy brush and there will certainly be a good share of long distance shots up here in Upstate New York. For those of you who have experience feel free to add you rcomments here. If you have another idea for a weapon I am open to suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Unless your dead set on a Savage I'd say being in Upstate NY you should be able to come across a Rem 700 in the 7mm Ultra mag round and cover anything you should be looking for.There used to be a guy named Ken Gates in Watertown that had a shop and he was always real good on prices.Not sure if it is still open or not I seem to remember something about him doing only guns shows and internet but im not sure.Might want to look at that.I am biased though I will say I only shoot rem for the most part but i have always had superb luck with them.Good luck. Jim

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
I also plan to get a Remington Model 7 or 700, but I have heard that Savage has de-throned the 700 as most accurate out of the box. I hope it was just a nasty rumor.

Any of the 3 calibers you mentioned will be adequate. I would probably go for 30-06 since the ammunition is easier to come by. A 7mm MAG is a sweet round too, just spendier to shoot. I don't have anything good to say about a .270, but it would definately work good too. You can get 30-06 loads with 220 or 230 grain and knock down a moose well enough. 160 grain for the whitetail, 180 for the black bear.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I doubt very highly that the Savage has over taken the 700 in out of the box accuracy.I find it hard to believe that anything made by Savage could.But I could be wrong,I have been out of the game for a few years now.Also again back to me being biased about Remingtons,what can I say, I grew up 40 miles from the factory.Also last i knew the military still used a 700 based frame for all there sniper weapons but I could be wrong on that as well. The 7 is a heck of a rifle but not much on the long range stuff a better brush gun in my opinion.Model 7 in .308 will take anything down short range,and I fully agree on the 30 06 being a excellent all around caliber with ammo very easy and cheap to find. With the primary purpose being deer and black bear not in heavy brush and possibiltys for good long range shots you really cant beat a 700 in 30-06 but lets not forget no need to be old fashioned anymore,you can always go with a semi auto rifle too.Possibly a Model 4 or 7400 in 30-06.Clip fed, easy to find, extra clips in your pocket makes for fast loading might be something to look at. As far as the possible moose hunt I wouldnt be scared to carry an 06 in search of moose but you might need more than one round to put one down.Maybe better to spend good money on a quality deer/bear rig and have a secondary weapon for the occasional moose hunt that is just a bare bones piece, just something to get the job done.Good luck. Jim

·
Registered
64 Posts
well speaking from expierience as to owning both Rems the 700 and the 7400 both in 30-.06 I would have to say I love my 7400 hands down depending where I will be and what I will hunt I can sight the rifle in using different weight bullet heads but you cant beat that 700 for out of the box accuracy I use that in long range comps and it usually takes 3-6 rounds to be dead nuts on at 300 yards, But you can be just as accurate with the 7400. another thing to take into consideration is carrying weight the 7400 feels a little lighter on a sling than does the 700 and also i like the 7400 compact size for getting in and out of a treestand. But probably the most important factor is YOU. You have to like what you get, I have a friend who swears by Savage he even went and bought a Savage .308 Tactical because accoring to him he can take a gnat off a a Flea's *** at 300 yards lol so it really is up to you. Just like mods on our cars there are pros and cons for everything you just have to sift thru what ya read and make your own decision.

Steve

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
CableguyJJS3 said:
I doubt very highly that the Savage has over taken the 700 in out of the box accuracy. I find it hard to believe that anything made by Savage could.
Well I wouldn't have believed the guy, but he happened to be a gun salesman at Gander Mountain. He's also a huge Rem. Model 700 fan. FYI, the Model 7 uses essentially the same action as the 700, hence being about as accurate with comparable barrel length anyway.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
I vote 30-06 for the same reasons already mentioned.
Rob

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Well gun salesman for Gander Mountain doesnt mean he is an expert, but I will give the benefit of the doubt since I am not an expert nor do I know one or the other for sure. All I do know for sure is the 700 has been around since the 50's virtually unchanged for a reason,it is one of the best common place rifles you can lay your hands on for top notch quailty, craftsmanship, and accuarcy right out the box at a reasonable price.Also as for the 7 and the 700 being the same they are virtually the same gun just the 7 was designed and engineered as a carbine style for rugged country and close range shooting. But still a heck of a weapon. And btw I am not a sales rep for Remington I just happen to be a very big fan. :D Jim

·
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter
2,073 Posts
I would go with a 30-06.

180 grain silver tip will do the trick for any north american game sav a Grizzly then I would want sometihing like a 450 Rem Mag and some space :D

I have been around firearms for a long time and even do some handloading. I myself carry around an M1 in northern NH every year. I figure if the WWII guys could carry them all around Europe I can do it for a week :)

Mark

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've got a Model 700 .30-06 that I love dearly. I've had it since I was 16 and have shot many a deer with it. I've had and shot many rifles and none could compare to the trusty Remington. My father, who has a Winchester Model 670 .30-06 is jealous of my baby :D And well he should be, too - he gave me the thing when I shot my first deer with it

The only problem with my gun is that the stock is getting kind of ratty - it is over 30 years old. I'd love to put a Kevlar or other lightweight stock on it...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts