TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you guys/gals use any sniping services?

Most of time, I'm bidding on auctions from my house and since I'm on dial up..... :bawling: I can only bid within a few minutes of the end of an auction and usually see the price go up and I win, or I get outbid.

So anyway, I'm considering a sniping service that bids in the final seconds and was wondering what everyone uses. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
I always get into an argument with my father about this. He uses one, I refuse to. I say it is manipulating the system and having been on the other end of that, I won't do it. He says that all it does is prevent bidding wars, since if you only bid once on an item, and bid the amount you were actually willing to pay, it wouldn't matter when you bid. I think it takes a regular auction and turns it into a silent auction, which isn't fair to the seller (who paid for an open auction and on average would get less money from a silent auction with nobody got into bidding wars) or to the other bidders who are going into an open auction that they don't know is a silent auction.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I always get into an argument with my father about this. He uses one, I refuse to. I say it is manipulating the system and having been on the other end of that, I won't do it. He says that all it does is prevent bidding wars, since if you only bid once on an item, and bid the amount you were actually willing to pay, it wouldn't matter when you bid. I think it takes a regular auction and turns it into a silent auction, which isn't fair to the seller (who paid for an open auction and on average would get less money from a silent auction with nobody got into bidding wars) or to the other bidders who are going into an open auction that they don't know is a silent auction.
Good points.... so which one does your father use? :tongue: :D

I've been the seller on some "bidding wars" and, true, it is great for the seller. However, the majority of my non-paying bidders were from winners of bidding wars. They seem to get wrapped up in the bidding and bid higher than they are willing to pay.... I loathe non-paying bidders. :zbash:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
While I agree with you, the old adage, "If you can't beat'em, join'em." comes to mind. I personally haven't ever used the sniping thing, I just bid in the last 30 seconds or so. I have high speed though, so that helps. However, I think a lot of people use this tactic, so even the whole 7-day auction thing is really kind of pointless except for the fact that your item gets more hits and potential buyers.

-Rob

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Sorry, the information you request falls under the classification of "trade secrets". Figure it out yer darn self! I'm not going to help you outbid me for mn12 parts! :D

oh and as a buyer i agree with Mike's dad on bidding strategy. :)

As a seller i've never had a problem with crafting my auctions so that they bring in top dollar for that type of item on ebay, even if most or all the bids come in at the last minute. And those last minute new bidders usually know exactly what it was worth to them and no more, and they pay right up with no problems.

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
I don't know what one he uses. It never interested me since I don't approve of it to begin with. Non-paying bidders are aggrivating, but not as bad as the scammers that are on there now. I wonder if they use sniping programs?

As for the "If you can't beat'em, join'em", I prefer to go down fighting than to succumb to the pressure of others.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I'm not too mad about it, I just don't do it. It's the same as idiots and shipping prices. Some jackass tried to tell me recently that it was going to cost him 17 dollars to ship me a [motorcycle] turn signal switch. I had to laugh.

As a seller, I always get the sale if I charge a reasonable shipping price and post a well-worded, concise, auction with good photographs. It's as easy as that.

Back to sniping, I don't think of ebay as a game. I don't know, some people really get off on sniping so they can save 6 cents, I have a life and some patience and am an adult, so no sniping.

·
Super Moderator
7,526 Posts
Back to sniping, I don't think of ebay as a game. I don't know, some people really get off on sniping so they can save 6 cents, I have a life and some patience and am an adult, so no sniping.
I'm going to have to use that line on my dad. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I don't attempt to save anything so much as avoid over paying for it. I decide exactly what it's worth to me and no more. If at the end of the auction it hasn't surpassed that price i'll put my last second max bid in and see where the chips land.

I can see no point in putting a bid in on something that's going to be up for auction for days to come. Your just inviting counter bids and driving the price up to your detriment. Why would you play that game? It's a waste of time getting in a bidding war with some zero feedback newb with auction fever (and they've always come out of the woodwork every time i've bid early)...

As a seller i can't tell you how many times i've been thrilled to see a sniper with great feedback come in at the last second. I love watching them snatch the prize away from some newb with auction fever who probably wasn't going to pay anyway.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would you snipe if it would save you $100?

I've had at least two auctions that had I sniped, I would have won one, and saved $100 on the other one. My issue is that I can't bid at the last second because I'm on dial up and the screen refreshes are sucking up those last few seconds. If I knew that if I hit the enter key within the last 10 seconds of an auction, I would. But I can't. If I hit refresh with 30 seconds to go, by the time the screen refreshes, the auction is over (or so close to being over that I can't bid in time).

I just don't see the problem with sniping. What is the difference between me sitting there waiting for the very last second to bid (assuming I could!!), vs. using technology to do the exact same thing?

But anyway, which service is everyone using?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I just don't see the problem with sniping. What is the difference between me sitting there waiting for the very last second to bid (assuming I could!!), vs. using technology to do the exact same thing?

There isn't any difference.

The auction is open until the second it closes at a fixed time. It's as simple as that. That's how a fix end time auction format works. There's nothing wrong with last second bidding however it's done.

·
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter
2,073 Posts
With cable I have one screen I watch the auction with and keep refreshing it to see the numbers. I also have another window open and set with my highest bidding price on the commit screen. This way I can drop in a bid in the last 2 seconds and it has worked well for me.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
94dd if you can upgrade you can get within 5 sec of end if you do broadband.

·
Registered
278 Posts
With cable I have one screen I watch the auction with and keep refreshing it to see the numbers. I also have another window open and set with my highest bidding price on the commit screen. This way I can drop in a bid in the last 2 seconds and it has worked well for me.
Great minds think alike...thats what I do. BTW, I met you about 5 years back up at Country Cue on Rt. 1 in Peabody. You came in and asked who drove the T-Bird (which was me since me and my gf were the only other ones in there). Then you told your buddy "See, I told you he'd be on the website." Sorry it looked like crap that day! And too bad I didn't get to see that badass Cougar. Someday

- Mark

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Would you snipe if it would save you $100?

I've had at least two auctions that had I sniped, I would have won one, and saved $100 on the other one. My issue is that I can't bid at the last second because I'm on dial up and the screen refreshes are sucking up those last few seconds. If I knew that if I hit the enter key within the last 10 seconds of an auction, I would. But I can't. If I hit refresh with 30 seconds to go, by the time the screen refreshes, the auction is over (or so close to being over that I can't bid in time).

Well I was just explaining why I don't snipe. Again, I have some patience, usually end up finding something nicer and at a better price if I wait a little while. Honestly, I have only been sniped a few times recently. I don't shop for "mission critical" stuff on eBay, anyway, it's too much of a risk of getting a crappy product or getting something packed horribly and damaged.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts