TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In October, I saw some nice audio work.

Now, I need to install an amp. What is the best way to splice into the existing wiring? Best way/place to run wires to amp in trunk (ie, under moldings, carpet, etc)?

I want to use the existing head unit and speakers, since I've already changed those years ago.

Also, I need door grills, titanium color for an '89 XR7.

·
Registered
344 Posts
What all are you installing? Just an amp, for the 4 mids/highs? An amp for subs? I am guessing thet youy are doing a amp/sub setup. First you need to know if your deck has a sub pre-out, if not any pre-out will do. And if none of the above you can use a line level imput- takes a signal from your speaker wire and turnes into a rca. To run the wires i run the power and acc turn on down the drivers side under the trim- to get power wire from the battery to the trunk, there is a place in the fire wall the has a rubber thing not in use- just pass it through there- For the ground i used the seatbelt bolt- For the signal wires, run them down the passanger side just like the power wires- under the trim and under the back seat. It is alot easier i think to remove the back sear all together.Any other ?'s.

Jon

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking to do....

a) 5 channel - 785 watt amp. into the 4 speakers and 1 12" sub.

or

b) let the Eclipse head unit run the mid/high, while I bridge or split the amp into 1 or 2 12" subs.

I am really dreading pulling the head unit out again, it's a total ***** since the dash curves down right after the back of the unit.

Yes, it has all pre-outs including subwoofer. Thinking the Eclipse will be fine with the 5x7's if only doing mid/high.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yeah the eclpise hu will do just fine- what all else are you gunna run? Type of subs-amp? Ect....

Jon

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the Rockford Fosgate 600a5. 100x4 + 200x1. Was going to use that for the 4 and sub. I have 3 800 watt unmarked subs, they are Hafler HT subs (RF parent company).

The sub has been tested at 785 watts, vs it's 600 spec. Not that that really matters.

I assume I could run 2 12's of the amp if I don't use it for the 4 interior speakers, but I just thoguht the interior ones would do better with cleaner, more power. The interiors are RF 5x7's, rated at 75 rms if I remember right.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I think that you will get a better sound if you power all speakers with that 5ch amp. You possibly could run 2 12's off the sub channel i dont know if the rating you have is at 2 or 4 ohms so...Most likely you could though. I know how much of a pain in the a$$ it is to take the deck out but you have to do it either to just do subs so, you might as well just run new 14g wire to all mids/high and make your system stand out....
Jon

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thought you were going to say something like that. Guess I'll tear her out and rewire the whole damn thing. Should make it much better in the dash though, just having RCA wires out instead of the harness and all that wiring.

·
Registered
344 Posts
yeah.....i personally also ran a 8ga wire to the battery for the power for the deck..dont know why but i did. And yes its a lot cleaner behind there. Just remember to( if you can) solder youy connections so you never have to worry about them comming appart.

Jon

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need an amp kit though? Or put together my own? I have some 200' of 14ga and grab some RCA's no problem. I need wire for on/off, and what else? Rather have it all ready before I pull her out.

Now to find the Eclipse manual too.

I need to get that Cold Heat solder thing! Cools from 800 degrees in seconds!!!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
You could put your own together or buy one, your choice. A kit includes -rca's-remote on/off, like a 20g wire- a power wire usually 4g by 20 ft and a ground wire usually 4g by 6-8 ft. So its your choice, easier to buy a kit but not sure about price.

Jon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts