TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does that sensor do? would i still be able to use the AC and heater without that sensor? I ordered the parts needed to do the mod 2 days ago, and im just wondering if its absolutely nessicary...

If so, could i connect it to the PI coolant pipe by a hose...? i have an idea, where you cut the sensor off and connect it with 2 peices of hoses on each side... i dont hae any way of flaring the tip...
any ideas...?

·
Registered
50 Posts
The way I understand it, that sensor tells the climate control head when the engine coolant is warm enough to turn on the heat - so it doesn't blow ice cold air on you as soon as you start your car on a cold morning.

YES that sensor needs to be hooked up. Mine came unplugged once, and my heater was blowing cold all the time...Brrr.

When I put the PI motor in my car I had to cut the metal tube that the sensor is mounted into, then hook it back up with a couple pieces of short heater hose. Not that difficult.

Hope that helps!

Frank

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fsh167 said:
The way I understand it, that sensor tells the climate control head when the engine coolant is warm enough to turn on the heat - so it doesn't blow ice cold air on you as soon as you start your car on a cold morning.

YES that sensor needs to be hooked up. Mine came unplugged once, and my heater was blowing cold all the time...Brrr.

When I put the PI motor in my car I had to cut the metal tube that the sensor is mounted into, then hook it back up with a couple pieces of short heater hose. Not that difficult.

Hope that helps!

Frank
but if you waited untill the car heats up... and then turn it on, would that work? the ac and everything else would stil work, rite?

I only ask because i dont know if i will have a hack saw to cut the tube.

I was thinking of cutting about 0.5-1 inch on each side of the sensor and doing the same on the pi hose, and connect it w/ 2 peices of heater hoses, like you said... but i dont know.

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
hacksaw won't fit if doing the PI swap without removing the heads :D get a small pipe cutter... worked great, screw it on and turn away :D

as far as the sensor.. i still don't know wtf you guys are talking about.. i removed the hardline from the npi nipple, all the way to just behind the passenger head and because i couldn't get the nipple out, i just used a length of heater hose... i never encountered a sensor and yes i do have the Semi-ACC

·
Registered
152 Posts
fsh167 said:

Frank
Where is this sensor? I am having a problem with my heater, I would like to check it out.

·
Registered
654 Posts
:ztoohot: I put it in between the curved heater hose using a hose clamp
BUT only lightly tighten the clamp - Do not depress the curved hose to much.

Worked for me :ztoohot:

Curt

·
Registered
50 Posts
The sensor screws into a fitting welded in the middle of the solid metal coolant tube. You can find the sensor somewhere behind the passenger side cylinder head - just follow the heater core hoses.

The other thing to look out for is that you don't get a kink in the pieces of heater hose you use to piece it together. I had a kink in my hose behind the intake manifold, which wasn't allowing coolant to get into my heater core - I think that's where the "Brrr" I mentioned earlier came from.

As far as going without the sensor, I'm not sure if the heat will ever turn on when you have the climate controls set to automatic. The heat will obviously still work if you turn the fan on manually.

Frank

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
fsh167 said:
The sensor screws into a fitting welded in the middle of the solid metal coolant tube. You can find the sensor somewhere behind the passenger side cylinder head - just follow the heater core hoses.

The other thing to look out for is that you don't get a kink in the pieces of heater hose you use to piece it together. I had a kink in my hose behind the intake manifold, which wasn't allowing coolant to get into my heater core - I think that's where the "Brrr" I mentioned earlier came from.

As far as going without the sensor, I'm not sure if the heat will ever turn on when you have the climate controls set to automatic. The heat will obviously still work if you turn the fan on manually.

Frank
i usually turn the fan on manually anyways....

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I did mine a couple weeks ago very similar to the setup used by jordansypek....looks factory ;) I bought a #4467 heater hose from autozone and ran it from the PI heater pipe (comes from under manifold) to the cut-apart factory piece with the sensor in it. Bolted it to the back of the passener side head. Zero kinks!
-Rob

LINKY LINK to the thread with the pic

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
just make sure that sensor is grounded somehow, whether you bolt it to the head or whatever.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
No doubt. You should see how I grounded the coolant temp sender in my all-plastic intake ;-) All I have to say is hose clamps and 14 gauge wire baby!!
-Rob

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
The owners manual says that the heat will turn on when when one or both of these conditions are met: When engine coolant is warm enough OR after 3 1/2 minutes have elapsed after the system has been powered up and set to Auto. So my understanding is that even without the sensor the heat will still be activated after 3.5 minutes have elapsed, which is plenty of time to allow the coolant to warm up. However, you would want to make sure that the leads that connect to the sensor are set up so that the signal to the processor is always "cold". If the processor thinks the coolant is hot, the system will activate immediately and blow cold air.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mabey thats why my blower turns on right away when it is set on auto?
I'm geting ready to do the swap but cant find the "s" shaped hose from Checker Auto as they can't cross over the part number listed above, any help guys?
#4467 dosent work/cross over at Checker.

-Dave

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Smaller number on the tag is 63194. This could be a cross number or something. The hose is working great for my heater.
-Rob

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thanks Rob, I'll try that.

-Dave

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thx for the info... i guess i wont even bother with it, because i dont have the tools to cut the tube... maybe when i get my heads pnp next year i might...

:D

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
davesxx01 said:
Mabey thats why my blower turns on right away when it is set on auto?
I'm geting ready to do the swap but cant find the "s" shaped hose from Checker Auto as they can't cross over the part number listed above, any help guys?
#4467 dosent work/cross over at Checker.

-Dave
Dave it depends on which setting the selector is on MAX AC, AC will always turn the fan on right away

Delayed fan should work when on Panel, Floor or Panel/floor

·
Registered
98 Posts
Timb, mine comes on usually right away in panel- panel/floor and auto. Only a couple of times has it been a true delay of a couple of minutes in this 40 deg weather. Also it seems the ac is on when ever the heat is on, I know it should be when in defrost but with floor/panel also???

Thanks,
-Dave

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
For some reason Ford chose to engage the AC when in any of the panel positions. The fan would act the way you describe if the sensor wire is shorted to ground. All the sensor does is close the circuit to ground when the water heats up.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Timb, it figures Ford would do that. Time to check the sensor wiring I guess.

Thanks,

-Dave

1 - 20 of 29 Posts