TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a good condition (no tint changing or black marks) auto dimming rear view mirror for my 1993 SC. Let me know if you have one available. Thanks.

Reactions: supergordo

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
It may be hard to find the factory one without tint changing or black marks due to age.

I used a Toyota surplus unit in both my Cougar and my Dakota (Dak never had auto-dim before; I don't believe I ever lived properly without one!) that I bought off fleaBay.

Here's an autodim that may not be Ford numbered, but Gentex made them for Ford ... CLEARANCE SALE!! BRAND NEW GENTEX AUTO DIM REAR VIEW MIRRORS $20 EACH!! | eBay

EDIT: Of course, if you want an upgrade, and don't mind adding the wiring for the temp sensor ... Gentex 177 Auto-dim Mirror with Compass and Temp-Two Line Display FREE WireCover | eBay

EDIT 2: Of course I find a better deal after posting ... Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror GNTX-177 Dual Display & Temperature sensor 7 Pin | eBay with sensor.

RwP

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may be hard to find the factory one without tint changing or black marks due to age.

I used a Toyota surplus unit in both my Cougar and my Dakota (Dak never had auto-dim before; I don't believe I ever lived properly without one!) that I bought off fleaBay.

Here's an autodim that may not be Ford numbered, but Gentex made them for Ford ... CLEARANCE SALE!! BRAND NEW GENTEX AUTO DIM REAR VIEW MIRRORS $20 EACH!! | eBay

EDIT: Of course, if you want an upgrade, and don't mind adding the wiring for the temp sensor ... Gentex 177 Auto-dim Mirror with Compass and Temp-Two Line Display FREE WireCover | eBay

EDIT 2: Of course I find a better deal after posting ... Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror GNTX-177 Dual Display & Temperature sensor 7 Pin | eBay with sensor.

RwP
That is top notch information. Thank you Ralph. I'm going to see if I can locate a good condition 3 pin to avoid the rewiring but if I can't I'll go with one of their other units. I love finding out supplier sources because it does make locating parts vastly easier.

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
Helps that most all Gentex units of our vintage are actually 7 pin even if only 3 pins (or 2!) are used.

Here's the generic pinout.

We use pins 1-3.

RwP

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,512 Posts
Question... Is the mirror really needed much with 5% tint on the rear windows?

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
Question... Is the mirror really needed much with 5% tint on the rear windows?
If by 5% you mean it passes 5% of the light - no, no, it's not.

And why are you driving blind like that?

RwP

Reactions: Grog6

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
If by 5% you mean it passes 5% of the light - no, no, it's not.

And why are you driving blind like that?

RwP
My car doesn't have windows at the moment😂. I think OP just got his rear and sides done in 5%.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I like having the option of a dimming rear view mirror as my vehicle was factory equipped with one and the wiring is currently tucked up against my visor. I also like having a center rear view mirror as mine is currently missing. Yes I am more than able to utilize it with tinted windows. As far as my tint preferences and legality that isn't what we are here to discuss.

·
Super Moderator
5,851 Posts
I like having the option of a dimming rear view mirror as my vehicle was factory equipped with one and the wiring is currently tucked up against my visor. I also like having a center rear view mirror as mine is currently missing. Yes I am more than able to utilize it with tinted windows. As far as my tint preferences and legality that isn't what we are here to discuss.
You can save your money though.

At 5% tint, won't be enough light get through to trip the sensors, so it won't auto dim.

YMMV though; I had a 25% tint in the back window of my Dakota (sliding glass), and there's a BIG noticeable difference from the middle being open to it being shut in the dimming action.

RwP

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,590 Posts
One thing most people don't realize is how serious the sunshine in Las Vegas is in the summer. I was born in Chicago lived there many years. Lived many years in Detroit and San Diego. As well my grandparents had a place in Tampa Bay FL. I spent plenty time there. The summer sun in Las Vegas is like a laser beam. Dark window tint here just doesn't seem so dark.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The reason I asked if it was useful is I would think about adding it if it was. I'll likely do 20% all around on mine. Was genuinely curious, wasn't trying to hijack the thread.

FWIW, I'd put it back in if that's what was there factory whether its functional or not...

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to Ralph I was able to score a perfect condition unit off of ebay. I didn't realize that these were used in other vehicles. I bought one with all the same part numbers for a Jeep Cherokee and it's identical besides using a set screw instead of a spring clip.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.