TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone tried to retrofit the Autolamps and the Electronic Climate Control? Those are both nice features that I would like to have. Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
krusher said:
I thought it was standard for the 96/97 models to have those features.... wow.
I wish!! It doesn't even have Keyless Entry :eek: (my Clifford fixed that, though :D). It's just a simple PEP157a (I think that's the pkg no) with the Sport option.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have the auto headlamps on my 94, come on right around dusk - i bought it that way, then again it also came with a kenwood deck so i dunno if they are stock or not.

The only thing i dont like about them, is that they stay on for 30 seconds after i shut the car off, and i cant turn them off at all at night...

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
I have no clue about the auto headlamps, but I looked into getting auto climate control for my 97. From what I gathered, it will take the wiring harness for the console from a bird that has climate control (something about computer connections...), the actual unit (I have one for sale), outside temp sensor, and the inside temp sensor. I never got this stuff so I am not quite sure if it will work or not but my instinct tells me that this should do it.
--Craig

·
Registered
93 Posts
Deus003 said:
I have no clue about the auto headlamps, but I looked into getting auto climate control for my 97. From what I gathered, it will take the wiring harness for the console from a bird that has climate control (something about computer connections...), the actual unit (I have one for sale), outside temp sensor, and the inside temp sensor. I never got this stuff so I am not quite sure if it will work or not but my instinct tells me that this should do it.
--Craig
Don't hold me to this, but I thought something about the climate control came up in another thread, and the guy gave up because it was such a hassle. He said finding a spot for the sensor's was a real pain.

On the other note, i hate the auto headlamps. maybe just my need to be in control, but the last thing i want is my car making decisions for me. that, and i dislike running my lights when i can see perfectly fine. oh well.

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
On my 97 I had a spot for the sensor. Of course they were sticking anything on the the last cars off the line.
-- Craig

G

·
hmmmm..... almost every bird I've owned
88 Turbo, 95 LX, 97 LX
had these options.... except my 92 sport. That doesn't but oh well.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Was your 'Bird badged an LX from the

bbickers said:
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone tried to retrofit the Autolamps and the Electronic Climate Control? Those are both nice features that I would like to have. Thanks!
factory and do you know your car's build date?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Was your 'Bird badged an LX from the

MagerThom said:

factory and do you know your car's build date?
Would the model matter? In 1997, all you could get were LX's, right?

The build date is 9/27/1997. Ford has not been too forthcoming with window sticker info. Not real sure why. They won't even tell me the originating dealer!!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Re: Re: Was your 'Bird badged an LX from the

bbickers said:

Would the model matter? In 1997, all you could get were LX's, right?

The build date is 9/27/1997. Ford has not been too forthcoming with window sticker info. Not real sure why. They won't even tell me the originating dealer!!
Yeah, some kind of privacy thing, but your service writer
can bring up the delivering dealer anytime he wants to.

IF all models built in '97 were LX's (as common mythology
perpetuates), then you are correct. I asked because I don't
believe much of anything I'm told anymore unless it's from
someone on this board who has proven himself to be accurate
almost all the time.

I looked in my '97 Ford Thunderbird Sales Brochure and here's
what I found:

Thunderbird LX

PEP 155A

* Group 1: cast aluminum wheels/P215/70R15 BSW all-season tires
* Electric rear window defroster

PEP 157A

* All features found in Package 155A
* Group 2: 6-way power driver's seat, illuminated entry system,
and leather covered steering wheel and shift knob
* 4.6-liter SEFI V8 engine with speed sensitive steering

COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE

Luxury group: electronic semi-automatic temperature control
air conditioning, autolamp on/off delay system, power antenna,
dual illuminated visor mirrors****************************Optional
-------------------------------------------------------------------

so the Autolamps and the Electronic Climate Control were
options and not part of the LX package.

The reason I asked your build date was simply to find out
how late in the production run your car was built. As I recall
I THINK the last build date was in very early October of '98
and I had thought that Ford maybe they might have been running
out of parts. Actually they were optional and, obviously not
ordered whan your car was built.

Hope this helps,

·
Administrator
14,229 Posts
VegasBird said:
I have the auto headlamps on my 94, come on right around dusk - i bought it that way, then again it also came with a kenwood deck so i dunno if they are stock or not.

The only thing i dont like about them, is that they stay on for 30 seconds after i shut the car off, and i cant turn them off at all at night...
Have you tried turning the dial next to the dash dimming dial? If it's not there, the auto lamps aren't factory. With that dial you can turn them off (turn the dial all the way down till it clicks) and set the delay that it takes for the lights go off. (the further up you go, the longer it will take)

·
Registered
79 Posts
VegasBird said:

Yeah you can adjust the dealy on the headlights, so they can stay on for like 2 min. or go off almost immediately. And yes you can turn them off, by rotating that same adjustment all the way down til they go off. I have adjusted my delay , as well as turned them off at night...so it can be done:D

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
So, did anyone ever figure out if the auto-headlamps and Climate-control can be retrofitted? I just got my 97 Sport yesterday. I love it!! But I surely miss the:

COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE

dual illuminated visor mirrors.

My 97 LX had all of these items. Of course it didn't have the 4.6, or the Sport package either! :D:D

·
Dim Bulb
3,499 Posts
VegasBird said:
For turning them off at night, just go find the sensor wires and put a switch in the works, to turn the signal from the sensor on or off and presto, you should be able to turn your lights off at night... somebody correct me if I'm wrong

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
MagerThom said:

I looked in my '97 Ford Thunderbird Sales Brochure and here's
what I found:

Thunderbird LX

PEP 155A

* Group 1: cast aluminum wheels/P215/70R15 BSW all-season tires
* Electric rear window defroster

PEP 157A

* All features found in Package 155A
* Group 2: 6-way power driver's seat, illuminated entry system,
and leather covered steering wheel and shift knob
* 4.6-liter SEFI V8 engine with speed sensitive steering

COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE

dual illuminated visor mirrors****************************Optional
-------------------------------------------------------------------
What I am EXTREMELY curious about is how many MN12's where built in 19941997 WITHOUT package 155A. Notice that you never, ever see a 94-97 with the factory hubcaps/wheelcovers? But they where available according to the brochure, and obviously the wheels where optional. And if you don't have 155A, you obviously will not have 157A, or the comfort/conveniance package. I have seen ONE 97 bird, denim blue, that was just like this. At some point some 15" 94-95 cougar wheels where thrown on there, but it had no options what so ever....so does anyone think any others where built like this?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
For what it's worth, My '95 does not have autolamps ir climate control, but there is a connection behind the grille for an outside temp sensor, and there is a connector under the defroster panel for the sunload sensor... I also had the yellow wire under the hood for the cold coolant lockout for the SATC. That makes me wonder what I would be able to throw in...

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Sounds like we have similar questions! I have access to a wrecked T-bird with both options. Just curious what I need to get out of the car, and how much trouble are we talking about?

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
Earl said:

What I am EXTREMELY curious about is how many MN12's where built in 19941997 WITHOUT package 155A. Notice that you never, ever see a 94-97 with the factory hubcaps/wheelcovers? But they where available according to the brochure, and obviously the wheels where optional. And if you don't have 155A, you obviously will not have 157A, or the comfort/conveniance package.
I guess 94 packages were different. I got the auto climate control, power antenna and the dual lighted visors but no auto headlamps. Don't know what wheels it came with. One of the previous owners replaced them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts