TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple question about the headlights. I have a '95 Thunderbird with the normal (boring) headlight switch (knob) and panel dimmer dial next to it. But I've seen some '96/'97 Thunderbirds in the junkyards with an second dial for "Auto Lamp". Is that for having the headlights come one with the key start (like many modern cars)? Is that something that can be swapped onto a '95 Thunderbird or does it require a different light harness and, if so, how much of the harness is different?

·
Super Moderator
10,645 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I miss the auto headlights. That would be quite the retrofit job as there is a light sensor in the dashboard that triggers the lights to come on.

Al

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Can the plastic dash piece that houses the light sensor be R&R'd without removing the whole dash?

Al

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
https://forums.tccoa.com/16-interior/125489-i-added-autolamp.html#post1259839

Search

thunderbird autolamp harness site tccoa.com

And there will be more posts.
Thanks, by the way, I used that search and found I hope enough info (and a few pics) so that the next time there's a Thunderbird with autolamps in Pick-Your-Part that I will be able to recognize those bits (the pics are very disorienting though I can understand in tight spaces framing won't be the best).

Looking through my '95 service manual, are these the part numbers?

13A025 - Automatic Headlamp Dimmer Relay
13A018 - Light Sensor Amplifier
13A106 - Light Sensor Feed Wiring
11691 - Light Switch Rheostat Resistor

·
Super Moderator
10,645 Posts
All you need is the light sensor, the relay, the switch plate and the dimmer/delay dials. The dash wiring is all there so it’s a very easy retrofit.
Listen to XR7-4.6, he absolutely knows this. :)

13A025 - Automatic Headlamp Dimmer Relay
13A018 - Light Sensor Amplifier
13A106 - Light Sensor Feed Wiring
11691 - Light Switch Rheostat Resistor
Those are the 'generic' numbers for those assemblies; there will be a prefix, four letters/numbers.

IIRC, for a 95, it's F5AZ, but I'm not sure. 96 is F6AZ, so I'm guessing.

It won't matter; you can't buy them new, you'll be removing them from a car if you want them. :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those are the 'generic' numbers for those assemblies; there will be a prefix, four letters/numbers.

IIRC, for a 95, it's F5AZ, but I'm not sure. 96 is F6AZ, so I'm guessing.

It won't matter; you can't buy them new, you'll be removing them from a car if you want them. :)
Ya, I figured as much, I was thinking more in terms of some eBay/online used parts sources that might actually reference the numbers since the part names are a little vague and tend to result in search results for stuff that has nothing to do with those parts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts