TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I just recently bought a 1997 Thunderbird. Around 150k miles. When I try to put the car into reverse, the floor shifter is stiff. When I apply enough force, it changes into reverse but with a jolting surge. When it goes to drive, neutral, 1, and 2 it shifts but there isn't a correlating shift that's pointing to the gear on the floor shifter. The shifter also acts like it's dipped in molasses lol. While in drive, it drives smooth with no surging. I think it's either the transmission shift cable, floor shift gear assembly, or the bushings. Need help pinpointing. Also to note:
Cable Assy - Selector Lever Control.(F5SZ-7E395-AA)no longer exist as a new piece and would like to know why ford discontinued this part and if they made a replacement part number for it. Aftermarket or oem will do.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
3,275 Posts
Hi! Welcome to Tccoa. Considering that you just aquired the car I have a couple ideas here. First is that since you described the shifter as feeling like it is dipped in molasses that it's probably not far from reality. I'd suggest taking the center console apart and cleaning the shifter bezel really well. Also since you don't have a corresponding shifter point with the gears, the trim visible part of the shifter may be incorrectly installed. I'd be surprised if you actually have an issure with the shifter cable. And the only place you are going to get a cable is the junkyard. No one makes those.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts