TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
doin my tranny tuesday, how much fluid do they take? autozone is closed and im not sure if they even know that **** and i couldnt find it on google. its a 95 4.6, so thats a 4r70w AOD, i think.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
14 qrts with torqe convertor and cooler.
i dont know a lot about trannys, i thought the torqe converter used different fluid? and how many quarts do you pun in the torqe converter?

·
Registered
875 Posts
The entire sytem circulates the SAME fluid. Use only Mercon V fluid in this transmission.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I hope your mechanic knows what he's doing, this isn't a project for the amateur do it yourselfer.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hope your mechanic knows what he's doing, this isn't a project for the amateur do it yourselfer.
yea, he does trannys all the time, i have no idea what im doing but i havent asked him any questions on how to do it. He works on Fox bodys and he has 5 of them and is a mechanic. I asked if he has done trannys and he said yea ive done a bunch.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Changing your tranny fluid isn't too hard. It's not that hard or mysterious. It's just kind of messy. You have to make sure to drain the torque convertor as well as the tranny pan when you do it.
The transmission takes 12 quarts of fluid. Mercon V is the stuff to use, don't use any other type of fluid. If you have a tranny cooler you'll need a quart or two more of fluid depending on the cooler size.
When refilling it you need a nice long funnel to out into the trans dipstick tube. Start by filling 4 or 5 quarts into the car. Check for leaks, then start the car. Then slowly add 4 or 5 more. After that cycle the transmission thru the gears slowly (don't drive it yet). Then check the fluid level. Add more if it needs it. Take it for an easy drive thru your neighborhood(no racing) to cycle the fluid thru the tranny. Then Check the fluid again, add more if needed.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Lol, i didn't mean changing the fluid was hard, he's changing transmissions. Original thread led me to believe he was rebuilding transmission. We cleared that up thru pm's. :)

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Lol, i didn't mean changing the fluid was hard, he's changing transmissions. Original thread led me to believe he was rebuilding transmission. We cleared that up thru pm's. :)
Haha! Ok that makes a ton of sense now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts