TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am new to this so bear with me.
I am planning to buy an 87 Turbo Coupe On Thursday, so need the answer before then if you can :)

I am buying an 87 TC and want to put the motor in my Suzuki Samurai (please don't hate me). It is currently an automatic, but I am planning on putting a T-5 behind it. I have read that the 2.3Turbo is 190HP from factory with a manual, and only 150HP with the automatic. Is there a difference in the motors with either trans, or is the difference just because of the auto's gearing? (Basically, is it ok to put the Manual behind the motor, or do I have to change programing or anything? is the motor the same in both models?)
Thank you,
Jonathan

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not sure about the power rating but I doubt the Suzuki transmission would accept a Ford engine. If it would, I kind of doubt it would be able to handle the torque for any extended period of time. But I'm just a naysayer saying nay.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The engines are the same, the main difference is the turbo setup. It was limited to 8-10psi on the automatics because its a weak POS, the 5 speeds got 15psi boost. All that is necessary is to add a bleeder valve to the wastegate and you can get more boost. Its a good idea to limit it to 16-17 psi as the IHI turbo becomes very inefficent at higher levels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts