TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to Autocross at a SOLO II event in April. I was curious if anyone else has done it and how the T-Bird handles on something else other than the drag strip.

Is our car more of a handler than a speeder? Should I attend, or should I make sure I have the car lowered before then?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Go and have fun. I autocrossed mine a bunch the last several years. It's a big fat heavy pig of a car, but it's a lot of fun. Find an experienced person to ride with you and give you pointers. I'll give the following advice:

1. Walk the course twice if you have time.
2. The first run you make, concentrate on not getting lost; don't worry about your time (trust me, all those cones start looking alike your first time out).
3. Realize that a good driver in a Yugo can beat a bad driver in a Corvette. Don't expect to win; just try to do better on each run.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Defintiely get out there and do it. You'll learn a lot about how to handle your car and you'll also have a blast! Don't worry about lowering your car first. Its better to learn with a stock car.

·
The Parts Guy
7,267 Posts
It's definitely a lot of fun. I did it a couple times in my old 89 Cougar LS and it was a blast. It was pretty amazing that my old 17 sec car ran auto-x times that were in the middle of the pack.

I'd like to take my XR7 to an auto-x event once it is finished, just to see how it does.

-Rod

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
I love racing mine in solo 2 .I just ran last weekend and managed to beet my buddy's neon by a full second.I can keep up with some of the mustang's and vette's depending on if it's a slow or fast course. but i have done lot's of suspension mods im getting a front stut tower brace custom made this week.Try it you will love it.

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
Tobey said:
3. Realize that a good driver in a Yugo can beat a bad driver in a Corvette. Don't expect to win; just try to do better on each run.
alright someone else knows what a yugo is im not alone.

but seriously autocrossing is a heck of a lot of fun.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
racecougar said:
It's definitely a lot of fun. I did it a couple times in my old 89 Cougar LS and it was a blast. It was pretty amazing that my old 17 sec car ran auto-x times that were in the middle of the pack.

I'd like to take my XR7 to an auto-x event once it is finished, just to see how it does.

-Rod
You're putting 4.10's in that and going crazy with the j-mod on it right? If so, you'll have a blast.

·
The Parts Guy
7,267 Posts
4 Cam Bird said:
You're putting 4.10's in that and going crazy with the j-mod on it right? If so, you'll have a blast.
I just want to drive the darn thing first. But yes, I plan on stepping up to 4.10's from the 3.73's that are in it, and I will definitely do the J-mod.

-Rod

·
Registered
98 Posts
I took season champ with my old '87 turbo coupe in '93 and ran in CM class. I always got bumped to AP (MustangV8, Corvettes, Camaro's) and it really pissed them off getting beat by a 2.3 turbo. Awsome fun!
Listen to what Tobey said!

Two more things, be sure you have track-loc and only do the mild J-Mod ie: both springs in the 1-2 accumulator!!!! Or you WILL spin out on every shift!

Have fun!

Dave

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mercutio said:
Bump your air pressure up to at least 40 psi and you'll do a lot better.
Yeah I was reading a local website about bumping up tire pressure and what not to improve handling.

I am going to go ahead and wait till I get it lowered and what nto before I go out there.. I'm tired of looking like a truck :(

Thanks for the responses,

John

·
Registered
861 Posts
why wait till you lower it? why not race it and start getting a feel for your car while you wait for the lowering stuff? that way, when you dosome mods you'll have an idea of how your car and it's limits are affected.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
thunderbird96 said:
you guys need to come to salina,kansas and race we have a very long coarse. The next one's in april
When in April? I may have a job coming up out there and I'd love to drive the bird out there instead of the States Caravan!

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Thanks a bunch! I'll check my schedule.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
a few people from our region go down to Salina farily regularly I think. That is the week after our next event, I might try to make it down.

I've got the hardest setting of the j-mod done. The first thing I do when I walk the course is find where I am going to shift. I did spin it once and I've had a couple of nice drifts result from the back end not being back in line when it was time to drive into a corner. The last event I ended up not shifting. After my first run I decided me shift could wait until the second decent straight in the course. And the tires were still spinning on a couple of runs when I hit the brakes to enter the next corner. Bounced the rev limiter a bit not shifting but its ok. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts