TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the battery was stone dead the other morning and needed to be replaced.

I found the receipt and was amazed to see that I had bought the battery on 1/5/99. Only 2 months shy of being 11 years old.

Cant complain about that one.

T

·
Super Moderator
9,245 Posts
It speaks well of their batteries 11 years ago... Makes me wonder if they're still as good today.

·
Super Moderator
10,569 Posts
I just changed out the stocker in my Black Cougar; it isn't dead, but I'm building a stereo in that car. No reason to kill it. :)

I'm using it as a shop battery; 11/95 date on it. Voltage is still in spec.

·
Super Moderator
10,569 Posts
batteries out here last 3 years if your lucky
I'd say the water evaporates, and then the battery dies...

Maintenance free batteries are a bad deal. Get one you can maintain; search google, lead acid batteries are OLD technology. "Equalizing charge", "specific gravity", "sulfation" are three good search terms to go with "lead-acid battery".

Keep them charged, keep water in them, they will last forever. (as long as it isn't a pos to begin with)

High temperatures make everything work faster chemically; boiling a battery gets fairly easy if it's 100 degrees out. Boiling loses water and acid; that's pretty hard on the car, too. :)

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
even the optimas aren't going to hold up out here much longer than an autozone maint. free battery. Right now Im using a newer auto zone battery traded in just before my 3 year replacement warranty was up. Im good for a while battery wise. I keep on this one with charging it if needed.

·
Super Moderator
10,569 Posts
even the optimas aren't going to hold up out here much longer than an autozone maint. free battery. Right now Im using a newer auto zone battery traded in just before my 3 year replacement warranty was up. Im good for a while battery wise. I keep on this one with charging it if needed.
Optimas are AGM technology; liquid electrolyte batteries have several times the output and lifetime of AGM. You just can't run them upside down... :)

Use the google, guys. Tap water not good.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
i love my autozone battery it has lasted me over 3 years so far and it never runs low even with it in acc mode with the system on for 25 min at a time. just keep the levels good and they will last forever.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I ran the walmart maxx batteries. Made by johnson controls. Good stuff and about the best price out there. (and I work at a parts jobber)

·
Super Moderator
10,569 Posts
i love my autozone battery it has lasted me over 3 years so far and it never runs low even with it in acc mode with the system on for 25 min at a time. just keep the levels good and they will last forever.
At my "optimal listening level", I need over 2000 rpms, or I drop voltage until the car dies, lol. ~ 3 miles is enough...

I found that out in traffic one morning. :rolleyes:

·
Street Freekz
754 Posts
I ran the walmart maxx batteries. Made by johnson controls. Good stuff and about the best price out there. (and I work at a parts jobber)
I sell those batteries 5 days a week lol :D.

I've had good luck with the Everstart Maxx batteries & I've had good luck with the Napa batteries as well. Both have great warranties and there is a Wal-Mart practically everywhere it seems.

I just wish batteries were made as good as they used to be.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts