TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had an issue with the autolamps not working after not being used for a few days? This just happened this evening and after I had my bird parked for a while this spring. They began working again until tonight. Maybe unrelated, but my driving lights (fogs?) haven't been working for a while.

Is this common and has anyone gone through this? MFS, light sensor, the autolamp switch itself, or something else?

Thanks for help.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you've made a habbit of running with the fogs on and you haven't rewired them, chances are that your light switch has gone bad. Sometimes it takes the multifunction switch with it, fogs overheating the light switch and wiring harness is a very common issue. But first, have you noticed any blinking of your headlights? Are you sure the roller button is in the on position? If you have replace either the multifunction or light switch, you must be sure you get the ones that are for auto-dim. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response Van.

The light switch was replaced under recall this past few months. The MFS malfunctioned over a year ago briefly and I haven't had an issue with the lights going out since then. I just worked the switch back and forth a number of times, guessing it was dirty/dusty contacts.

:) Yeah, the roller is positioned on. Funny thing was, the first time the autolamps failed, they slowly began working. Also, my power door locks didn't work as well. They slowly began working again as well. No problem with the locks this time, just the autolamps.

I remember reading somewhere that there was an issue with the fog lamps failing. I don't recall where I read that tho. Anyone?

·
Registered
204 Posts
If thats the case, you might try checking the ground first. I think its the 1 under the drivers kick panel, by your left foot. It looks like a black box with a bunch of black wires attached and screwed to the metal body panel. I would remove it, sand the surfaces and reattach in good and tight. Failing that, I would swap the switch itself.

·
Registered
126 Posts
For a long time I was just using my auto because the pull knob was broke. I was driving home one day at night and they cut off. And would not come back on except for when I held the flash-to-pass forward. I had no highs or lows. I looked everything over and found (after replacing about every light switch) that one of the connectors on the wiring harness was cracked and burned. Check all the related wire connectors. If ones bad, Ford can sell you a pigtail for like 10-20 and you can solder them together. I've had problems with connections throughout my car- autolights, brightness knob, ignition coil, and third brake light connectors all have been cracked and burned and replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts