TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I had the motor to the passenger auto seat belts today in my SC as I was trying to see what the problem with it was. I found the little knob to turn it back manually, but it's a strange thing that the motor does work and it will always go back whether or not the door is open. I did get it to go forward once, but I think it was some sort of fluke since it did it when I opened the driver's side door. The owner I bought it from said that the previous owner had disconnected it and he never bothered getting it connected again. I think that was probably a lie, but now I'm not sure. Does anyone know where it would be possible to disconnect it so I can fix it and reconnect it? The plug going to the motor was in just like it's supposed to be and everything looked normal to me. Is there some sort of sensor going over to the driver's side seatbelt motor that I don't know about? I didn't feel like ripping apart the other side just to find out.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
There are a whole host of things you will have to go through and check. You need to check each of the following switches:
1: pass. side front limit switch
2: pass. side rear limit switch
3: pass. side door ajar switch
4: pass. side spool switch
This is the detailed operation description from the svc manual:
ford service manual said:
The Passive Restraint System uses the shoulder belt and lap belt to restrain passengers. The shoulder belts operate automatically; the lap belts are operated manually.

Electrical operation of the shoulder belt is as follows: With door completely closed, and the Ignition Switch turned to RUN, the shoulder belt moves from the "A" pillar rearward to the "B" pillar until the Rear Limit Switch opens.

If the belt does not reach the "B" pillar or the Rear Limit Switch does not register that the belt has reached the end of the track, the Fasten Belts Indicator will remain on and the chime will come on 8 to 15 seconds after the belt first began to move from the "A" pillar rearward to the "B" pillar. These shoulder belt warnings are in addition to the lap belt warnings, which are controlled by the Warning Chime Module when the Ignition Switch is turned to RUN.

If either shoulder belt is not connected, the Spool Switches open, causing the warning chime to sound for four to eight seconds and the Fasten Belts Indicator to light up continuously.

If the vehicle is in a collision, the vehicle Inertia Switch may be triggered. The Fuel Pump is unpowered through the triggered Inertia Switch, and both shoulder belts are electronically locked in the rearward position until the Inertia Switch is reset.
This may be a good time to whip out the service manual (and if you dont have one you may find it on fordcds.com)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, looks like a lot of fun ahead of me :(

I had the rear limit switch disconnected and also i took it out and pressed it in a few times. It made a clicking sound from what sounded like the driver's side seatbelt motor. I don't think it is the door ajar switch because the dash display does not display the door ajar light when it's closed. Also, the extremely annoying chime stays on forever and not just for 8 to 15 seconds like that states.

I think I can find the front limit switch. Any idea where that spool switch is located?

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
send me 30 bucks + ship and ill ship you one i have 4 of these things all in working order

·
Registered
30 Posts
I seem to have the exact same problem on my 91. I pulled everything apart yesterday and using the knob on the motor I moved the auto belt to the "open "position on the A pillar. When I switched on the iginition the belt slid back to the B pillar. Makes it sound like a sensor issue because the motor is obviously ok if it still retracts the shoulder belt.....right??

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
get in ur car, get the seatbelt motor to retract all the way( like when u close ur door) stay in the car, or have somoene disconnect the battery, take off rear pannel to get at the motor, and simply unplug it. thats wut i did. now instead of having it go back and forth i just unclick and click th seatbelt in when i need to. i didn't bother looking into what was wrong.

Dean

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
i forgot to add. mine did the clicking too, but i had to pull it back to give it assistance(toward the back of the car) to have it retract

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well you see I don't want to have it african engineered like you have. That's what I'm trying to fix. I want it to work properly. Right now it will stay back all the time so there is no need to disconnect it to use it like you have.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
hey either way is a dumb aspect of the car i never liked, something else to break, and oh wait it DID. so i said forget it and didn;t want to deal with it.

its wasted money and time to me.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
or just get the parts and do the late belt swap

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeh I agree they are annoying unless you're extremely lazy/dumb and don't use your seatbelts. Converting to the later style would just cost even more money and time, so I don't really see it as an option.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So does anyone have the proper specs for all the little sensors related to the automatic seatbelts? I only have the Chiltons and Haynes books for the BIrd now and they aren't much help on little bits like this.

·
Resident Line Creator
1,874 Posts
Sounds like the problem I had after the cops attempted to get into my car after locking the keys in it. They weren't able to get it, but I noticed that once I got back into it and drove it, the seatbelt light was on. Here, the officer had unplugged that inside the door! Wasn't too hard to plug back in though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts