TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe the trans guys here can answer my question. I was wondering if all automatic transmissions do the same thing go foward, reverse etc. Why is it that they use different trans fluids. Also why is it that if you use something other than the fluid specified as in another transmission fluid there could be major damage. Aren't these trans built the same way with the same components and materials or can someone please tell me what is different with each automatic trans. I just keep wondering what is the differences internally between a 6 speed auto chrysler, ford, gm and foreign transmissions.

·
Super Moderator
9,358 Posts
Auto transmissions are generally the same in functional design, a series of planetary gearsets and clutches to change which parts of the planetaries are allowed to move and where the input and output come from/go to - giving your different in/out ratios and reverse. Fluids vary between manufacturers and years due to variance in clutch plate materials, seals and different friction specs. Hop on auto.howstuffworks.com and check out the transmission section for a good general rundown on the auto transmission.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Basically it comes down to the seals and what "additives" are in it.

Like to my knowledge all FoMoCo autos can use Mercon III or Mercon V, though since 94 they have been designed to use the additive in Mercon V (Mercon III lacks it). Though on a side note you can even use wet-brake hydraulic fluid (the same tractors use)

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Fluids vary between manufacturers and years due to variance in clutch plate materials, seals and different friction specs.
For years it's been recommended that Type F be used in competition-spec'd and prepped 3 speed Torqueflites instead of the Mercon because of it's higher friction qualities. I tried it in one of my better-prepped TFs and didn't notice any difference. Of course, mine wasn't in an 8 second Super Stock car either, so......:zdunno:

Really makes you wonder what differences there really is (or isn't) between some brands/grades, but it's probably proprietary secret stuff.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just like the gov't mandated that all vehicles should be obd 2 compliant. They should do the same with transmissions. This would make the cost and servicing of this component a lot cheaper. You use the same grade motor oil in the engines, why not use the same type of fluid in all automatic transmissions regardless of the make of the car.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dirty dog, which one costs you more to rebuild? a domestic or foreign transmission. I have always been very curious about that since they do basically the same thing. What is the difference if one is more expensive than the other.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts