TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered before but I'd like to know whats available these days for front shocks.

They are original on my Cougar and need replacement. I am not finding much for fronts that are for the sport suspension. I have done a lot of searching and am leaning towards the Tokico blue. However I have found a few old threads here; where people have said they are about the same as a non sport front shocks. Is this true or are they a good match for the sport springs?

I would really like to get Motorcraft sport shocks for the front, but I can't find them anywhere. Are they not an option anymore?

Would I just be better off doing Monroe SensaTrac or KYB? Or is the Tokico a better option?

I know for the rear I can do the Cobras so I have an option there. With the front I really want to put a good set on, as they are a bit more labor intense to change. The rears if I don't like them I can switch out easily enough.

Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
5,132 Posts
Tokiko Blue or Illumina II set to firm are about it.

Koni's out, Bilstein's out ...

RwP

·
Registered
966 Posts
How many miles does your car have?

The sport shocks and springs are much better than KYB or Monroe, probably even worn out.

They don't make the front sport shocks anymore.

Tokico is probably the best option right now, although I know a few complain that it's too soft for their taste.

There is also crazy expensive (~$1400) QA1 shocks and springs that are a direct bolt on for our car. But they're newer and I haven't seen a whole lot of people jump on them, probably due to the price.

I'd say jump on the blues and, if you want a better stance, think about cutting the springs for a lower ride, or getting new springs too. These cars look much better when they aren't a 4x4 with balloons for tires.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I put Monroe SensaTrac all the way around on my bird. They're fine but if I was to do it again I'd go with something stiffer.

·
Super Moderator
7,669 Posts
Motorcraft sports are long since discontinued, and there are no more NOS ones in inventory in any dealers in the country, so no, they are not an option anymore. The Tokico blues are the best option currently available for our cars, however I am not 100% sure they actually are available. Tokico has had distribution issues the last couple years, and none of their shocks have been available for some time. Supposedly they were back up and running, so if you actually can get the Tokicos, go for them. Otherwise, you are stuck with the KYBs or SensaTracs, both of which suck from a performance standpoint.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My cougar is at about 95K miles. It seems too soft up front for the original sport shocks to be any good. It's not bouncing, but it doesn't feel like its springing over bumps or dips in the road tightly. I have replaced all 4 ball joints already and everything else has no play.

I have experienced this feel before on my other car, an '03 Camry Solara. It had stock shocks and springs; I replaced them few years ago with Tien lowering springs and KYB's.... It has a very nice ride now even after 4+ years. I am very happy with the KYB shocks on my Toyota.
I haven't heard much good about the KYBs for the MN12's. I have heard better things about the SensaTracks.

I know its another topic but would cutting a coil off the springs up front help firm things up at all? If im in there to replace the shocks it would be pretty easy to try out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i went to tokiko blues with stock SC springs for 2 years before changing to eibach springs. the tokikos arent the most impressive shock in the world, but feel much better with lowering springs. i have a hard time believing they arent better than kybs or stock stuff.

if you are changing shocks, for a few hundred more dollars, replace the springs while youre there. i did it twice and didnt have too. i still have my stock springs in a box somewhere, but they are 23 yearsold...

·
Super Moderator
7,669 Posts
Cutting springs does make them stiffer, which can improve handling, but stiffer springs require stiffer shocks to dampen them, so cutting your stock springs while leaving the tired old shocks in place will only worsen the problem. As a matter of fact, this probably explains svtfiend's experience as well. The eibach lowering springs are actually softer than the stock SC springs, so they are more matched to the Tokico's. It probably had nothing to do with the car being lower, but rather the stock SC springs were overpowering the Tokico blues and they couldn't dampen well enough.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I managed to find a pair of Motorcraft Cobra shocks for the rear, and due to some advice received here, I tracked down a pair of Tokiko blue for the front. Nice balance for everyday... and the occasional urge to embarrass a tuner car..... :)

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Tire Rack still shows stock on the Konis for the Convertible... :) For the Rear... :(

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I know there are dial adjustable shox, Are there shocks that have a shredder valve to add additional pressure? Or is this a dangerous notion?

·
Is something burning?..
712 Posts
I thought Cobras came with Bilsteins?
The Mustang Cobra (IRS) did come with Bilsteins in the rear, from my understanding, and that it is a direct bolt on for an MN-12.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Would I just be better off doing Monroe SensaTrac or KYB?
Monroe Sensatrac are the worst! They make the T-Bird "float" if you go over a little dip in the hwy. The car floats up and down a couple times.

I will never buy a Monroe product because of it. I used to have good luck with the Sensatrac, just not on the T-Bird.

Al

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Will these Gabriel Max Control will work for the back? They are a $50 performance shock.

http://gabriel.com/product-search/light-vehicle-detailed-specs/?partnum=75898

I looked them up under 2004 Cobra, but some places are listing them for normal Mustangs. When comparing the specifications to a rear Monroe Sensa Trac for the MN12 ...

http://www.monroe.com/en-US/catalog/e-Catalog/5965

They seem to have the correct dimensions, besides the size of the mounting bolt/bushing. That could be changed though.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay so I did some more looking into it. They are for the sold axle mustangs. Even if they were to fit, they are valved differently and wouldn't work well with the different weight of the IRS on our cars or an IRS Mustang.

So far for good rear shocks I have found these options.

Motorcraft cobra rear shocks: ASH 20 / ASH 21
Tokico
Bilstein

I'm probably just going to get the Bilstein rears at this point. Not finding much else for options.

·
Registered
206 Posts
i may found something interesting

here is a thread about coil overs made with Bilstein

i worked the interweb for compare able koni and came across this posting from a
nissan 240sx racer, looks like uses the same bilstein as the setup used here
he got a picture with the 2 shocks to compare

to read here: http://driftninjaz.com/blogthis/?p=26

i wonder how hard it would be to put them into our strut tube

1 - 20 of 29 Posts