TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was headed back to Austin from FT. Worth last night. I was averaging about 80mph the whole way in the old 'Bird, 3 miles from home I crested a hill and there he was, the police officer.

I did my usual...pulled over safely and quickly rolled the window down and stuck both hands out of the window. The officer slowly walked up, asked me if I knew why he stopped me. Of course I did. I was doing about 70 in a 55. I was EXTREMELY polite "yes sir" "no sir".

When he asked for my licence and insurance I turned on the dome light, told him I was getting them and did so slowly. After I handed him my paperwork I placed my hands back at 10 and 2 on the wheel, and when he returned to my car he said "Gonna let you off with a warning, slow it down now."

I call this the "Rodney King Protocols" (What Rodney SHOULD have done) I have gotten out of four tickets in the last five years doing traffic stops this way. Make the cop feel safe and it can help you

p.s. I am 5'10" 215 and African American.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
Definitely good tips...I would always assume the safer you make the officer feel and the more respectful you are, the better your chances of getting a warning.

Did you shut off the engine as well? I did that the only time I was ever pulled over. Dunno if it's necessary or not though...

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Yup, be nice to the cops & they'll generally be good to you. I was pulled over in march going 85 in a 55. The HP asked me if I knew why he pulled me over and I said "uh, no" I got a ticket for 65 in a 55. For the record I was nice to him, but I outright lied. total cost? 130 bucks

I was pulled over in may, no headlights in a double fine daytime headlight section, going 70 in a 55, passed/merged to the left (double lane right lane must turn right) and I didnt turn right, just cut the guy behind me off. Oh yeah, my registration's printed address was not current, neither was the address on my DL. He let me off with a warning and a fix it ticket for my reg, total cost, 10 bucks processing fee. I was nice to the cop, said "I was speeding, this that, the other, etc. for what it's worth I"m sorry, I just moved here and am looking for a job" (which was true)

be nice to cops....it works!

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Yeah..be nice. I hate writing tickets to begin with, but I can always tell when someone has dealt with a jerk cop before, becuase they are a jerk right from the start. I am always nice, :D so hopefully next time they get stopped they will be nice beacuse they remember how I acted when I stopped them.

Good Advice jrb23

·
Registered
437 Posts
I got a ticket on halloween. 77 in a 65. I did exactly like above but the cop wasn't feelin nice that night. Unless you count busting someone right at the bottom of a hill where the speedlimit went from 70 to 65 right there, then making me sit in the cruiser as he ran my info being nice.I really love how they feel the need to run the vin number of my car to see if its stolen lol.Then again it was missouri highway patrol right outside of a college town. If he would have just put 10 over it would have been a $80 dollar ticket, but he put 12 over so its a $110 ticket:( I'm going to get an attornery to have it dropped though. Justin

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm right there with you about the MOHP. I got an 81 in a 70 and he wrote me up for 11 over instead of 10. But it's all good. I was doing 11 over, so I paid the extra $30 and got on with my life. It was on 435 South just before Worlds of Fun.

I don't hate cops. They are just doing their jobs. Even when they break up the street races around here, I'm not hating. And I'll be happy they're around if I ever need their help. That is what they do. Speeding is the 2rd most comon cause of accidents in Missouri. They're trying to get you to slow down so you are safer. Period. Taking your money is just the motivation they use to get you to drive safer. :D Now quit yer bichen, cause you broke the law... they didn't do it for you. :tongue:

·
Registered
437 Posts
I want complaing that much lol, I just got mad because he got me in the middle of no where*nodaway county, i was about 15 mins outside of Maryville* right at the speed limit change lol. I would just pay the fine, but i dont want my really cheap insurance to go up :D

I didnt know that abotu accidents in missouri.

Also arent you on KCSR PoXiC?I have the same name on there as here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
yeah I'm the worst postwhore on KCSR to date :D What's ur name on there?

I know you were'nt complaining about the cops that much. Just sharing my oppinion.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I got a speeding ticket a couple years ago driving a rental car in Missouri. 'Was about 15 over the limit and he only wrote me up for 10 over.

Here's the unusual part. When I got the rental it hadn't been washed after the previous driver, and was really dented up from a hail storm, so they obviously hadn't checked it over. They were just going to send me out that way, but I insisted they write down the fact the car was covered with hail dimples and mark the locations on the receipt they gave me.

So I get back from Missouri, and the rental agency sends me a bill for about another $800 for hail damage!! So I look for that receipt, and can't find it!!! I'm sweating bullets since I can't find the proof of the esisting damage, and then the phone rings. It's the Missouri Highway Patrol telling me I'd left a rental receipt with the patrolman who stopped me, and would I like them to send it to me? Hell yeah!!! So then I'm able to prove the car already had the hail damage, and am off the hook.

If the Missouri Highway Patrol and/or patrolman hadn't been so conscientous about contacting me about the receipt, it would have been a heck of a lot of trouble convincing the rental company the hail damage was already there...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
no cop bashing here!!

No I would never speak badly of our men in blue. They put their lives on the line daily for our protection. These guys are doing their jobs. I was just trting to make the officer feel safe in stopping me on the dark road late at night.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
johnaec said:
...it would have been a heck of a lot of trouble convincing the rental company the hail damage was already there...
You wouldn't have had to pay.....hail is an "act of god".

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
GreenBird said:

You wouldn't have had to pay.....hail is an "act of god".
Actually, they were trying to say it wasn't covered because I didn't pay for the extra insurance and should have known better than to have it out in those conditions, (which I obviously wasn't in anyway).

I would have to look what the actual contract said was covered - they can actually nail you for quite a bit in the fine print. And they absolutely did send me a bill for it. Fortunately, once I got my receipt, it was a moot point... Also, since I had comprehensive insurance on my own car, there's a possibility it would have covered the rental. I'm just glad it didn't get that far.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
what you did has been talked about a few times already, but its always good to reiterate the idea. not jsut cause it might get you out of a ticket, it will prevent any misunderstandings or help the cop to feel safe which will just make the procedure go more smoothly. -greg

·
Registered
141 Posts
Believe it or not, I have been pulled over 9 times and still have not recieved a ticket! Im 23 and i can remeber each and every time i have been pulled over. Jrb23 is right, if you do those easy steps and be as polite as you can without kissing the cops @$$, typically they will just warn you and ask you to slow it down. Some of the times ive been pulled over was when i had my first car which was the biggest POS, Chevy beretta. But in my bird, ive been pulled over 5 times, and only got one written warning and the rest verbal warnings. I don't care what anyone says, phoenix police are the nicest police i've ever seen. I have to start being careful because my luck is waaaaaayyyyy over due. My biggest break was when i was racing this 89' stang notchback (who promptly was kicking my butt) through SunCity (retirement city) and both of us got pulled over by a completely stock looking undercover Suburban. I was doing about 90-95 in a 35 and the other guy had to be doing 100+. He checked all of our stuff, and then came back and lechured us and said that he was off duty and didn't have time to do the paper work cause he had a meeting to go to. My friends hate me for that because most of them have had many a ticket, including my other t-bird buddy (but he has more bling bling on his).

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
ive been pulled over about 14 times. never for speeding though. and the tickets i did get werent moving violations, just little infractions, so nothing the insurance company cares about. im also 18.... 0 points. 0 at fault accidnets. -greg

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't know what you guys are doing but I am always respectfull and I don't do anything crazy to make the cop feel unsafe but I still get tickets everytime I get pulled over. So, what I normally do is when I get the ticket I write a check for $1, $5, or what ever over the ammout of the fine. A few weeks pass and I get a check back for however much I wrote over, I don't cash it. Thus the case is still open so a convection can not be reported to the insurance company untill the check clears the bank. I did this in 2000 and it worked, I just got a ticket recently and did the same but I don't know if it worked or not.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Speeding is the 2rd most comon cause of accidents in Missouri
as is the case where I live as well...

I would just like to see officers pay as much attention to the number one cause of accidents as they do to speeding.

but then again that wouldn't make them too much money. I cant hang that on the officers themselves, though its more on the city governments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts