TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the plan I have for my 96 T-bird! This is just a rough outline. I am open for ideas, conserns, and additions! I'm super pumped about this!

Ford 390 FE with Cobra Jet Heads 100.00

Carb:
4500 Dominator HP Race Carb 1050 cfm 705.00

Fuel:
Fram fuel filter 45.00
Mr. Gasket Fuel pump 65.00
15 gal. Fuel Cell 290.00

Power Adders:
ZEX Nitrous perimeter plate system 700.00

Ignition:
Street Pro-Billet Distributor MSD 365.00
Optima Battery - red top 160.00
E3 spark plugs 50.00
8.5mm spuer conductor plug wires MSD 90.00

Interior:
5" 10K RPM external shift light tach-cobalt 260.00
120 - 240 deg. F full sweep mech. temp.- cobalt 90.00
0-2000 psi. nitrous gauge cobalt 200.00
0-150 psi oil press. gaute cobalt 65.00
8-point roll cage 155.00
G-force 6-point harness-pull down-blue 135.00
Raceing Seats-blue 500.00

Trans.:
C-6 AOD Trans.
v-matic 3 Hurst shifter 280.00
shift kit ??

Rear end:
Ford 9"
Richmond 4:11.1 Pro Gears 365.00
Royal Purple gear lube ??

Wheels & Tires:
Weld Pro-star 96 Series rims x2 ??
Mickey Thompson ET Streets x2 ??

I will also need to stiffen the frame so I dont twist it. Also, I will have to tub it so I can get som fat ass tires under it! lol. also I am ganna try to find sum carbon fiber doors to make it lighter...

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
I'm not gonna comment on all of it, but where the heck are you gonna get a 8 point roll cage for $155? And if you can get it for that price, I'm certainly not sure I'd trust it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Better do an aluminum intake too...the stock FE intake weighs about 80 pounds.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
C-6 AOD?

C-6 is a 3 speed transmission.
AOD is a 3 speed transmission + overdrive.

I don't think Ford ever made an AOD with FE bolt pattern.

·
Registered
98 Posts
good luck with the oil pan,and yer gonna need custom headers.this is the first time ever ive heard of anybody wanting to use a 390 in almost anything.hope it works as good as you hope.ide like to see the progress when you start

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Awesome, I love F.E. engines. I agree on the intake, my buddy has a 1976 F-250 and had an Edlebrock aluminum intake on it for a couple of seasons. He recently went back to the stock intake, it took two of us to put it in place. That aluminum one was as light as a feather.

Keep us updated!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
to answer all the questions...lol 1st off...I found the roll cage in a jegs mag. and it was for a mustang. and I figured, with a welder, angle grinder, and sum time, I could make it work! lol Thanks for the info on the aluminum intake. I didn't know about that one! lol. With the C-6 AOD trans...I'm not 100% sure that's what it is...but thats what I was told it was. and it is comeing out of an old truck. The custom headers...ya...lookin foward to that price tag! lol. and I know the 390 came out of the 69 t-birds...so it'll be a lil bit of a new/old kinda deal! I think it will be one sweet ride! lol. Question though...what does FE stand for? I have NO clue! lol...

·
Registered
645 Posts
I'm pretty sure it stands for Ford Edsel, but it's been called ford engine, ford engineering etc.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Someone else was going to do this very deal and backed out simply because of the oil pan issue.

Oh and FE stood for Fuel Efficient.

Yeah Right.

·
SuperNewbie
2,869 Posts
Someone else was going to do this very deal and backed out simply because of the oil pan issue.
Well it definitly isnt a bolt in and go situation. But seeing as how the plans include a 9",tubs and a roll cage I would assume that fabbing or modifying the K member to accomodate the oil pan. or maybe go with a dry sump system. Dosent seem undoable. Do your research and take your time. But its definitly not a swap for a 4.6:)

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
tubular K member could clear the pan. Don't cut the car up too bad, but then better off than in a junkyard.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
My list of "Are you on crack?!?". j/k :D

Ford 390 FE with Cobra Jet Heads 100.00 I would like to see where you are going to get CJ heads for $100, let alone a complete good running engine!!!!

Carb:
4500 Dominator HP Race Carb 1050 cfm Do you plan on turning the 390 9000 rpm, because that is what you would need to do to use that large of a carb and that is assuming 100% VE. My 472 is more than happy with a 750 cfm holley)

Fuel:
Fram fuel filter 45.00 ICK!! You said Fram!!!
Mr. Gasket Fuel pump 65.00 No $65 fuel pump is going to feed an engine needing a 1050 cfm carb
15 gal. Fuel Cell 290.00

Power Adders:
ZEX Nitrous perimeter plate system 700.00

Ignition:
Street Pro-Billet Distributor MSD 365.00 box? coil? rev limiter? timing control?
Optima Battery - red top 160.00
E3 spark plugs 50.00 WHY!!!
8.5mm spuer conductor plug wires MSD 90.00

Interior:
5" 10K RPM external shift light tach-cobalt 260.00
120 - 240 deg. F full sweep mech. temp.- cobalt 90.00
0-2000 psi. nitrous gauge cobalt 200.00
0-150 psi oil press. gaute cobalt 65.00
8-point roll cage 155.00 Yeah right!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
G-force 6-point harness-pull down-blue 135.00
Racing Seats-blue 500.00

Trans.:
C-6 AOD Trans. This does not exist, nor do ANY early overdrive transmissions exist that could handle big block torque exist (to my knowledge)
v-matic 3 Hurst shifter 280.00
shift kit ??

Rear end:
Ford 9"
Richmond 4:11.1 Pro Gears 365.00
Royal Purple gear lube ??

Wheels & Tires:
Weld Pro-star 96 Series rims x2 ??
Mickey Thompson ET Streets x2 ?? Are you building a drag car, or are you building a street car?

If you think you can bolt in a $100 390 with CJ heads on it and go racing, you are in for a major disappointment.

Here’s my list of what you didn’t mention:
How will the engine be prepped? What rods, bolts/studs, rocker shafts/arms, forged pistons, etc. will you be using?
How are the heads going to be prepped? Porting, polishing, etc. Heads make or break an engine
What camshaft do you plan on running? Cam selection is a HUGE part of building an engine
What type of ignition box (From MSD website: NOTE: Must be used with an MSD 6, 7, 8 or 10 Series Ignition Control)
What type of posi unit/spool are you going to use?
What driveshaft will you be using?
How are you going to stop this vehicle?
Etc
Etc
Etc

Not wanting to burst your bubble, but you have a few thousand dollars not accounted for in parts, let alone the fabrication work to tub the rear end, and convert it over to a solid axle $$$$$$!!! :thumbsup:

My advice it so go buy a fox body Mustang/Capri and play with that, and leave the MN12 to what it is best intended as: A nice, sporty comfortable, decent handling street, street/strip, street/track car. NOT a full blown drag car.

But just my .02. I just hate to see cars get butchered by an improperly planned project!!! Been there, done that! :D

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
well, the fuel system is not complete.
what about plumbing?
then again, what about the fuel system for the nitrous kit, and plumbing for that?

If you are really serious about your little project, take a lot more time, do a lot more research, double, hell triple what you think its going to cost, and that should get you close to what you will need.

man, I could go on and on....

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
well, the fuel system is not complete.
what about plumbing?
then again, what about the fuel system for the nitrous kit, and plumbing for that?
Dang I totally forgot about that!! :beek:

I must be blocking fuel systems out of my mind.... I recently got "pissed" at the fuel system on my F100 and completely reengineered/replaced it. $650 later I have a fully braided -8 hose from the gas tank through the primary filter to the electric fuel pump (which thankfully I already had) to a secondary filter to the dual feed carburetor, through a return regulator and then finally back to the gas tank. That SS hose and those friggin’ AN fitting/hose ends can set you back a pretty penny!!! :beek:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Dream big, regroup when necessary, and use all that determination you didn't know you had.

Good luck,

Mike

Real hotrods you build yourself.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Good news

Hello

Canton has oil pans to fit the fox style cars, Rear sump. for the 390.

BUT if this is theory I would install a 406 triple duce. Like a 62 Thunderbird Sports.

There is even one in the blem list.

For me I am going with the 351C & a 3 + 1 rug in my 85 coupe.

Paul

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
your probally set on this idea but since you already have a mod motor setup you could build one stout 4v with a sulivan intake and still go carbed and get a bulletproof 4r70w and the motor trans will bolt right in. you could easily reach your power goals with less $$$$$ and time.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Dang I totally forgot about that!! :beek:

I must be blocking fuel systems out of my mind.... I recently got "pissed" at the fuel system on my F100 and completely reengineered/replaced it. $650 later I have a fully braided -8 hose from the gas tank through the primary filter to the electric fuel pump (which thankfully I already had) to a secondary filter to the dual feed carburetor, through a return regulator and then finally back to the gas tank. That SS hose and those friggin’ AN fitting/hose ends can set you back a pretty penny!!! :beek:
thats one reason why I have not swapped fuel systems in my car yet....I think I'm just going to run as much hard line(aluminum), as I can....so it doesn't brake the bank to bad.
I already have purchased a 5 gallon fuel cell, and would for now use my current FPR, but I still need a pump. I'm probably going to get a bigger pump than needed, cause I don't want to buy the same thing twice ;)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts