TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, keep in mind, that I AM NOT A MECHANIC of any kind.

I was reading, (trying to understand), under an asle/gear post, about what rear end/gears my car has.

It said that under the AX part of the door post label it would say........ and it gave a list of letters/ratios.

My car under the AX =Y
Under lock = Z
Under ratio+ 3:08

The 3:08 I basically understand.
What does the "Z" represent? i am confused here.

Thanx, for any explanation.

Tweety Bird

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
"Y" is a 3.08:1 conventional open differential. Non-locking.

If the sticker has the letter "Z" then it's a 3.08:1 Trac-Lok.

Here is a link to the TCCoA Articles under the heading "Gears" that has a chart, and useful info'.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/gears/gears.html

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Open Differential?
I prefer the term Unlimited Slip Differential.
-g
That's funny. :)

The slip is...unlimited.

Actually I prefer the term: Detroit Locker! :D

The other day I said to the janitor at work, "Do you have a sanitary waste receptacle lining?"

He said, "Huh?"

I said, "Y'know. A trash bag."

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Differential Terminology

Ford refers to it's "Open Differential" in a few different terms..

Such as: "Non-Limited Slip".."Non-Locking".."Conventional"

Ford refers to its "Locking Differential" in a few different terms as well..

Such as: "Limited Slip".."Locker".."Trac-Lok"

These are terms relevant to the MN12 & FN10 platforms..

Ford has used many Differential styles throughout the years..Some of those are listed here: -->>DIFFERENTIALS

I remember having this conversation before.. :tongue:

Rayo..

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Muscle cars I've owned in the past with a Detroit Locker scud the rear tires when accelerating hard from a dead stop, and making a sharp turn. Like pulling out from/into an intersection when committed. Combined with over steer the car can get away from you pretty fast. Let alone on a wet or icy surface.

Those who have ever driven vehicles with their spider gears welded know what I mean.

Since a limited-slip uses a clutch pack that allows some slippage this tendency to scud the rear tires is diminished. Hence the name, "limited...slip". The slip is only limited. It does slip some. Which in turn makes the car easier to handle. The D.L. on the other hand...once locked, the rear carrier turns as a complete unit no matter how sharp you turn.

(I always liked the name Sure-Grip. Like it should be in a line of RATM, Bulls on Parade or something...)

Here's some ol' skool, but true, and easy to understand video of how a differential works. If one can get past the fact that it was made before flowering plants, it does a fairly good job of explaining how the primary, and secondary pinions work.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
That video surprisingly does a good job at explaining the basics of how a differential works.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Detroit Locker isn't another name for limited slip though, it's either open or it's totally locked.
I thought Detroit Locker was a specific brand of LSD -- like Qualfe or Torsen (or Kleenex for tissue paper).

This should work in a tbirds 8.8 rear diff, right?
-g

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrain-Differentials/Ford-8-8in-28-Spline-Front-TrueTrac.aspx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=5589&t_pn=eat912a563&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=product&emlprox=out&ppcfon=1&gclid=CPrVm53ajbsCFYqFfgodE3UA8g

1 - 12 of 12 Posts