TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it looks like I will be around for the summer. My ship date right now is Sept 9th. Let me just say Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) was a pain. (For those service men on here you know what I am talking about.) Nothing like walking around on hard floors on your knees. The duck walk wasn't that bad. Having a CO tell you haw to pee into a cup was fun:confused: Being sworn in was kewl. Some nice perks I have now are free roam of the local YMCA. Which they bulit a barnd new facility last year and it is very nice. Look forward to getting back on the Racketball court. The rest of the delayed entry Marines in my area group along with the Sargent are plaining on going paintballing at a local spot here this weekend. That should be fun. Some of the guys in town already have the military train so I will get to learn some stuff before I go.

Later,
jay

·
Registered
68 Posts
Have they told you where you are going to BCT. I went to Fort Knox last year in Feb. and it was an experience to say the least. Well good luck to you in your military career.

Later,
MOSES

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Parris Island for Basic. The MOS I applied for is field artillery fire control man. Other words I send in the coordinates via computer to the field artillery cannoneer. FInd out tomorrow morn.

Later,
jay

·
Registered
627 Posts
Ah yes, Parris Island. You'll get used to the smell quickly, and the sand fleas aren't all that bad that time of year (yeah... right). You are going 20 years and one day after I did, and I thought it was an interesting time to be there. You will bake during the days, and freeze during the nights. There should be a considerable amount of rain also. But at least you'll be done prior to christmas barring any unforseen problems.

If you need any assistance at all, contact me at [email protected] or [email protected]. I'll try to assist you any way I can, at least prior to my drill instructors getting you. Then... they will be ALL you need. I'd practice swimming, and get ahold of everything the recruiters can get you concerning marksmanship. Wouldn't hurt to add to your PT program however you can... you will get a little exercise while you are there.

·
Registered
145 Posts
plus you'll need to know how to march.. it seems like something small but itwill help out in the long run on those first training days...it will help out alot....and learn to do things quickly and follow simply instructions and you will be fine....

Moody Moodz

Wars Fought (Police Actions Too) ...Tigers Tamed....Revolutions Started
Bars Emptied...Assassination Plotted ...Assassination Plot....Computer Verified
Governments Run......Orgies Organized....Uprisings Quelled
Virgins Converted.....Alligators Casrated......Perversion - Taught

·
Registered
145 Posts
one other thing that I was thinking about today..

learn not to scratch ....sand flea.. are heavy down there..and if you you are cause scratching .. stand the hell by...

Moody Moodz

AUTHOR, LECTURER, TRAVELER, BUM
PHILANTHROPIST, OCCASSIONAL HERO &
U.S. MARINE EXTRAORDINAIRE

Wars Fought (Police Actions Too) ...Tigers Tamed....Revolutions Started
Bars Emptied...Assassination Plotted ...Assassination Plot....Computer Verified
Governments Run......Orgies Organized....Uprisings Quelled
Virgins Converted.....Alligators Casrated......Perversion - Taught

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey Spidey, all the advice I can give you is when you get into boot camp do what you are told and do it perfect. Listen to all those who have been there before you and definitely get in shape before you go. All that marching, running, push upping and such is a shock to most people. It's more work than you think it will be, even if you're in the best shape. And while you are there, always remember that the people who are yelling at you and busting your balls for minor infractions are taking care of you. They are making you into something most people never become, a warrior and protector of the Constitution of the United States Of America. Make us proud and earn the right to be called a Jarhead and the right to call me a Squid.
GUN

·
Registered
627 Posts
Gunslinger said:
Hey Spidey, all the advice I can give you is when you get into boot camp do what you are told and do it perfect. Listen to all those who have been there before you and definitely get in shape before you go. All that marching, running, push upping and such is a shock to most people. It's more work than you think it will be, even if you're in the best shape. And while you are there, always remember that the people who are yelling at you and busting your balls for minor infractions are taking care of you. They are making you into something most people never become, a warrior and protector of the Constitution of the United States Of America. Make us proud and earn the right to be called a Jarhead and the right to call me a Squid.
GUN
Nah.... I yelled and busted chops because it was fun!

Actually, you put that in good words....

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Ahh, yes, MEPS. The memories hehe, that's as far as my millitary career ever went, I was trying to get into the USAF, and I passed everything, except for TWO small things. Number one: Stand from the kneeling position, basically, squat down knees on the ground, toes under feet, lean backwards, stand up, I got to the point where I could do that, well, sort of. I could do it with boots on, they'd bend and give me more leverage then just my toes bending, so I dont know if I could master this with no shoes on. Also, duckwalk, cant do it, squatting down, my knees start to hurt REALLY bad, and I stumble and fall all over the place. I got home from MEPS the first time for it and they told me to come back in 90 days, which I did (got into better shape between those times) went back to MEPS, did those two things, failed them, got sent home, I havent tried again, I'd like to, but I dont know if I can do that stuff. I have vision problems, which affect things like balance, coordination, etc. so I can pass all their tests pretty much close to the minnimum allowable, but it's just those two stupid things keeping me out of the USAF. Anything I could do to make that small stuff easy so I could get in?

Earl

·
Registered
627 Posts
Earl said:
Anything I could do to make that small stuff easy so I could get in?

Earl
Honestly... I couldn't tell you personally. I was at MEPS 20+ years ago. I don't remember what happened there, other than I took the oath of enlistment when they were done poking and prodding. I'd have to talk to some former recruiters and see if there are any tricks.

·
Ohio TCCoA
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Honestly... I couldn't tell you personally. I was at MEPS 20+ years ago. I don't remember what happened there, other than I took the oath of enlistment when they were done poking and prodding. I'd have to talk to some former recruiters and see if there are any tricks.
I have already passed MEPS and swore in Tuesday. Next is getting my "job" we sent in cleared. Thats what I am waitng on right now. After that I wait till Sept 9th to fly down the Parris Island and start my 13 weeks of HARD traing to become a Marine. I cant wait to stand in uniform at graduation. I have a looongg way to go till I can think about that. First I got to "get off the bus" ;)

Later,
jay

1 - 11 of 11 Posts