TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally decided to refinish my Back Glass Moulding--thinking I can't make it look worse.

Started with :

These are the Clips that hold the Moulding on they just slide on and off:

For stripping I use a Putty knife to remove the flacks still attached left with :

Then sanded with 80, 120, 200 and then Stoch Brite:

Be careful while sanding as the piece is aluminum so be aware of your pressure.

I did several coats 3+ ending up with :

And reinstalled:

This is paint used:

As a note Ford organically used something that was a lot more flexible (rubber like) to at this point I don't care the results speak for their-self's

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
THANK YOU!!!!!! I so needed this. Any "walkthrough" for the repair/and or replacement of the rear upper molding? Mine has a crack/hole in it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Great job! If I keep mine (the car), I'll do the same thing. I've given up on finding any new mouldings anywhere.

Any idea how to take the upper one off, on both the rear and front?

·
Administrator
8,215 Posts
bowez,

Once you remove the clips, how difficult is it to pull the molding out? Any pictures of that? I don't want to bend it! :facepalm:

Joe

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Joe,
I had to slide it back and forth (Left-Right) and then it came free. The Drivers side doesn't sit the same as before but that could be for any number of reasons. If you want to move to the Tech Articles and/or sticky this is fine by me--was the intent.

LOL, that sub (Kenwood 12") is older than the SC :)

One step I didn't do was Prime but I would suggest it. Before the last coat I did lightly re-scuffed the piece with Stoch Brite again, removing dust, sanding lines and debris in general. Then moved it inside for the last coat to dry.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I used the same paint on mine and a self etching primer first did all my window moldings and did the wiper arms at the same time molding still looks great but going to repaint the wiper arms and while I am painting I want to do my B pillar post as soon as I get done with some this side work I have now.....working on everybody else's car but mine

·
Super Moderator
12,550 Posts
I might write Chung a check to do this for me this Summer ... :tongue:

I've also got to get the "Trophy Scars" off of the trunk lid and rear bumper. :mad:

Great How-to! Thanks for taking the time to write this one up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts