TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anybody here has backhalfed their car and put a four link under it. I plan on doing this plus an mII front end and i guess my big concern is that everybody says to build at ride height but how do you compensate for the weight of the car. Seems like you could have your spindle at the right heigh with respect to the ground and car when you start to fabricate the frame mods but once you get the actually weight on it won't it sit lower??? thanks, Dave

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
coggonobrien said:
just wondering if anybody here has backhalfed their car and put a four link under it. I plan on doing this plus an mII front end and i guess my big concern is that everybody says to build at ride height but how do you compensate for the weight of the car. Seems like you could have your spindle at the right heigh with respect to the ground and car when you start to fabricate the frame mods but once you get the actually weight on it won't it sit lower??? thanks, Dave
measure, measure , measure..........

I will still one day do this, but, only when I get tired of breaking the IRS in some kind of way.

I'm probably going to order my setup through competion engineering, they seem to be a good company.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Why??

~~Hello

I said it before Why?

If you think you need a solid rear, Get yourself a 77-79 Thunderbird. This car already has a full frame, & maybe a 9.0in rear in it.

If you like the newer body style I'm sure you could reskin the older car alot easier than building a 4 link in the newer car.

I just don't get why you would want to get rid of the IRS. Even the NEW Mustang's now come with IRS in there COBRA models.

If you need all the extra frame structure or Axle strength. build from scratch or go with a older Torino-Thunderbird's 1972 to 79. Then strip, upgrade & Retrofit.

I race my car on a Oval track. Working hard to get it to work right. Right now it goes in good, but pushes coming out. Put in some stiffing bars. BETTER.

HAVE FUN & BE SAFE witch ever way you go!

PAUL

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
tbirdtess said:
~~Hello

I said it before Why?
Most likely, he wants to turn it into a full-blown drag car. It's been done before. Michael Tymensky's car (or however you spell it) is one, I can think of 2-3 others that have done this as well.

tbirdtess said:
I just don't get why you would want to get rid of the IRS. Even the NEW Mustang's now come with IRS in there COBRA models.
Not the new GT500's, they went back to a solid axles. The "older" ones (99-04 style) would be some of the ones that got the IRS.

Not trying to bust your chops, just trying to clarify for anyone who may be confused by that.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
As with the others, I assume if you want to backhalf your car that you plan to make it a dedicated drag car. Though I don't think the Bird is the best car for such a task, if that's what you want to do, go for it. But with that said, why do you feel you need an MII for a drag car? That will require as much fabrication, if not more, than the four link, with no decrease in weight or improvement in geometry for the drag strip. If you really want a drag front suspension, get the AJE setup.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
As cool as the IRS is, you can build a solid rear to deal with more punishment. And as far as reskinning older models go, that'd be kinda neat. But as far as it being easier than putting a 4-link under an MN12? I'd much rather tackle backhalving the MN12.

As far as the original question. Build it to the ride height you're after, and alter your spring decision based on how much the vehicle weighs after fully clad. Use something solid in place of the spring to hold the vehicle at ride height (I believe we used some hefty all-thread with a bracket welded on one end, and couple washers and nuts on the other, in place of the shock when we mocked up the ride height for the mII suspension for my ChevyII).

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as far as the why goes, i'm planning on drag racing with limited street use (mostly parades and cruises) and I want the four link for both strength and the ability to really dial to hook up correctly. I have a buddy with a 70 mustang fastback running around the streets with a ladderbar but he went a little further than i plan on. 17 inch wide rear tires, and a 900 horse blown 460 :D i'll try and get guys some pics of that next time i'm home. its really god awful shop. The reason I'm going with the mII is for simplicity and freeing up room. I intend to fab my own long tube headers since there are none on the market and I really want as much room as possible so i can give some nice long bends and reallyg get them to flow. the reason behind all this is because i'll admit there are some guys running really damn good quarter mile times with a realatively stock suspension and a lot of power but I wanna see what i can do the other way. i'm gonna build a naturally aspirated motor in the 400 horse range and see what we can do with a purpose built suspension. When I do the rear end I want to run around a 15x10 rear tire with a 31x12.5 drag tire

StupidFly said:
As cool as the IRS is, you can build a solid rear to deal with more punishment. And as far as reskinning older models go, that'd be kinda neat. But as far as it being easier than putting a 4-link under an MN12? I'd much rather tackle backhalving the MN12.

As far as the original question. Build it to the ride height you're after, and alter your spring decision based on how much the vehicle weighs after fully clad. Use something solid in place of the spring to hold the vehicle at ride height (I believe we used some hefty all-thread with a bracket welded on one end, and couple washers and nuts on the other, in place of the shock when we mocked up the ride height for the mII suspension for my ChevyII).
Thanks everybody with the help in answering my questions. Dave

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
If you really need to do this, I would recommend hitting up the Mustang sites. I would bet there are a lot of Fox-bodied Mustangs that have been back-halved. The procedure is the same; the details will be different. As for the ride height, you're going to use coilovers, right? Problem solved.

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
My as well state my why...

I want 8's.
I love the look of MY car.

Anyone can do it in a Mustang.

I'm already half way done with the front suspension(coil over's)(.....tubular k, and a-arms are next).

I have most of everything I need for the back halve, I just don't have enough research into yet; to try and tackle this on right now isn't good timing anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts