TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the nice smooth black trim around all my windows. And I have began to notice the trim around the back window is becoming porious. So when ever I get a little wax or anything on it it turns white. I have tried to scrub it and sand it. Nothing will get that stuff black again. Does any one have any I deas on how to recondition it?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Mineral spirits - just don't spill any on the paint, cause it will remove the fresh wax.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats it

A frigin toothbrush and mineral oil...Damn, never would have thought of that! I was thinking of everything last night...I just couldn't get it clean...Thanks guys

·
Registered
935 Posts
I painted mine...

My black ruber on the top of my windsheild became so rugged and worn out that I cut it off and used electrical tape as my new black strip. Everyone one I've shown think it looks nice, they would have never guess it if I hadn't told(just if you're thinking..ELECTRICAL TAPE?!)

On the back rubber I had the same problem so I took off my trunk and taped off the rubber and painted it will black trim paint a semi-gloss just so it wouldn't over power the old ones. Looks as good as new. I'd go with the other ideas first cus mine was more involved.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I spent about $200USD getting a new strip installed when my old one peeled out :(.

As for the tip - you're welcome :).

A good soft tooth brush is GREAT for MANY things on a car, from brushing dust out of vents, cleaning wax from between body panels, areas around lugs, etc.

Kevin.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Man I feel like an idiot for not thinking of a tooth brush from my front air vents that's a great Idea! Finally I can have clean vents...lol sorry I'm like in shock that I never even thought that. :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Mineral spirits to clean vents? You said your idea for cleaning lots of things?? Confusing? Or do you mean the toothbrush idea? Hehe. I got that one from my uncle.

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just went through this when I repainted my 93. I bought new upper moldings from Ford. They were less than $30 apiece. It sure beat trying to screw around with the old ones. The lower one I was able to strip and repaint without too much hassle. The new upper moldings really make a difference. I have part #'s if anyone wants to know Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts