TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy has a 96 Cobra. He got a C&L MAF on it, and gave me his old one. And his "rounded" stock airbox.

I put them on today...

Now my car barely runs. No idea what happened there. I'm not exactly happy though. I bought a tube from a junkyard, to fit on the larger MAF, and still fit my stock TB.

My car stalls directly after starting up, and, if it deciedes it is going to run, it runs like ***.

It also completely wiped out my "He's a Bad Mutha...Shut Yo Mouth" chip.
It's like it doesn't exsist. Tranny shifts slow again, and at 5k wot, the works.

Anyone have any idea as to how putting a slightly lager piece of metal in my car completely turned it upside down?!?!

Also the chip was supposedly burned for a lager MAF, I just never had one on there and it ran perfectly fine.

I have a 94 lx 76k miles.....that wants to get drop kicked really, really bad.

I also disconnected the computer and reconnected it. No change. The car runs very rough, and misfires all the way past 2,ooo RPM's. Pretty nice, let me tell you.

I'm going to go back to stock tommorrow. Unless someone who would have to obviously be wiser than myself can shed some light....

Anyone want to buy a T-Bird? :mad:

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
does your eec know what size your maf is? does it know the size of the sampling tube? if not it will NEVER run right. you need the eec/chip programed for you maf. thats your problem, put your old maf back in and your problems will go away. also make sure all your hoses are connected to the air tube.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I figured it was....

But, like I said, my "What's my name?!, say my name *****!" chip was programmed for a larger MAF.

I was going to have one by the time I put the chip in. The deal fell through, so I put it in anyway. No problems.

I put a 4" intake tube, again, no problem.

I guess that MAF is feeding it a lot better than I expected it to....hmmm...

I suppose I should stop goofing around, and start doing things the right way, huh?

Looks like I'll have to hold off on it, wait for my PI heads and intake, put it all on at once, and have my car dyno tuned, and/or my "Bond...James Bond" chip redone...

Thanks for pointing out the obvious....

Also, any idea why it completely deleted my chip function??

:confused:

·
Registered
184 Posts
If Im not mistaken the cobra has larger fuel injectors
so if you used the sensor off the cobra your injectors would not
match the calibration.
well thats the way it goes with 5.slows

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
what maf is programed into your chip??? each maf has a different transfer function and that specific program has to be put into your chip. they could be both 80mm but they are different the sampling tube might be the same but it still has a different program.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I suppose I'm going back to stock.

I put the stock air box back on it, but left the MAF and filter housing at lunch today.

My car ran better, but, still misses. And my CENCORED chip worked....um, some of the time. It kicked in and out....really wierd....

Oh well, gave it a shot. Don't think I'll be going to Ford to get my computer re-flashed just so I can have a Cobra MAF anytime soon....yeah, not going to happen

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correction:

I got it all in there, on there, and working in perfect order.

I had a nasty intake leak.

Runs very nice now...

Thanks for your help guys.

Appreciate it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts