TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to pull the cats out of my 97 v8 cougar today. I bent the two studs at the muffler end and broke the stud attached to the flange on the driver side cat (the one you get at from the top). So where am I at? Does this mean a whole new cat setup? All three studs will have to be replaced and pressed in. On the driver-side flange, if a new stud can be pressed in, the flange might have to be removed from the cat and that means cutting of the end of the pipe. I'm not even sure who to take this to. Ford stealership, muffler shop, machine shop? I dunno. I know this isn't a glamorous/cool thread but any advice would be appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I know how it is man, I had hella problems with my exhaust bolts when swapping out my transmission on my Mark VIII. Anyways, the problem I had was the stud on the cat's snapped on me; this left no hole on the cat side of the flange. I took it to an exhaust shop and he just torched out the bolt making a new hole. Then just put a bolt through with a nut on the other end. Works good a year and a half later. I'm not sure if your bolt's broke the same way, but I'd take it to an exhaust shop; they should be able to fix you up for pretty cheap.

Good luck...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. And now that I think about it, it could have been much worse. The only studs I didn't ruin are the studs on the exhaust manifolds. If one of those had broken then I'd have to remove the manifold too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I got the car put back together today. Just needed a torch to loosen up the studs and the screwed out. So get this. The two studs at the back end of the cat and the one stud on the flange (driver side) with the nut on top are english thread (3/8 x 16). The other 3 on the exhaust manifolds are metric 10mm x 1.5. I think that's just whacked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, my 'service engine soon' light came back on today. I just got back from autozone to get the error code. It's P0161 and that makes sense. Putting the cats back in I bumped this particular O2 sensor around and it scuffed up the wires a little bit. I wasn't worried about it at the time but now I realize that it was ruined before I ever got it installed.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top