TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94' bird with the 4.6 and I'm lucky to pull 17mpg with the a/c on. I actually drive fairly easy and most of my travel is on the highway like 100 miles a trip. Problem is I make that trip two to three times a week. I'm a college student and low on the funds. Need better mpg! Is this normal for a bird, the only mods are a k&n filter charger, the mass air has been drilled ( that could be a factor), and true duals with flowmasters. It also wears 245-45-17's. Another ? is, would I get better mpgs if I swapped in a t-45 even though I'd have to put in 3:55s. Also would the t-45 make a big difference is performance. I almost got spanked by a f-350 the other day, but thank god a car pulled in front of him. Please give any info that might help because I think I'm in the process of selling it. Thanks,junior

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
well with all the things i have done i get about 17MPG its 50% high way and 50% around here,
this was last year i had almost everything i have now but i dont baby it i am on it almost at everylight
with the T -45 i dont know if u will get better MPG it depends on how you drive it
as for performance if ur complaining about how you dont have money to pay some more for gas
you do know that the t-45 swap will cost u like 2g-3g right? and i am not sure what gas u run i have to use
premium myself , but i havet checked to see what mpg i get now caz i just got it out it was stored for the winter but it should be pretty much the same .

Jurgen

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks jurgen, I might need to put in a new tranny anyways. so I figured if there do it. but i would like to see atleast 22-25 mpgs. if i can't get then i'll have to resort to rice power, which is a shame because all i have ever owned were rear driven and mainly v-8s. thanks though

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
I would suggest you get a Chip from Reinhart Automotive, FordChip, RFF performance or Apten. (do a search if your not familiar with them) and you should either go back to a stock MAF (cheaper), or upgrade to a 02GT MAF.

Other things that would help gas mileage:
clean/new spark plugs
clean/new primary o2 sensors
working egr valve
good cat. conv.
proper tire inflation
brakes not dragging
no "whale tail"
clean air filter
clean MAF
working Fuel pressure regulator
running correct octane
NOT using cruise control
I find I get the best mileage when cruising at ~70mph.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Greenbird has good suggestions, one more thing to add to the list: a good quality 4 wheel alignment.

Mine makes about 24 on the highway mostly. Around town kinda beating on it I get 17 or so. I've got 3.08 gears though...

How many miles on the car? Burn oil? A more worn engine won't make the best mileage and if it is burning oil that will reduce the life of the spark plugs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the car has 110k on it. Pretty pampered it's whole life. The guy who had it before me was an absolute car freak. I run mobil 1 and always maintain it. With the mods you guys are talking about, will I be able to keep up with my dads 02 z-71. right now he can make me look like a fool. Also i took it to a place to get aligned and the guy said he couldn't do it right because the car was lowered with the lo pro tires. eibach 1 1/2. I still would want to put in a t-45, miss the stick shift. I know it will cost some change up front, but I figure i'll have to spend it to make a ricer quick to. One thing to add is at about 75-85mph it shudders really badly during both accel and deccel. could it be a factor or major problem. thanks

·
Boost Happy
1,971 Posts
juniorgoss said:
the car has 110k on it. Pretty pampered it's whole life. The guy who had it before me was an absolute car freak. I run mobil 1 and always maintained. With the mods you guys are talking about, will I be able to keep up with my dads 02 z-71. right now he can make me look like a fool. Also i took to a place to get aligned and the guy said he couldn't do it right because the car was lowered with the lo pro tires. eibach 1 1/2. I still waould want to put in a t-45, miss the stick shift. I know it will cost some change up front, but I figure i'll have to spend it to make a ricer quick to. One thing to add is at about 75-85mph it shudders really badly during both accel and deccel. could it be a factor or major problem. thanks
it could be from the driveshaft

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Yeah, something is definitely not right. My 94 bird is completely stock with the exception of the removed intake silencer and I usually get around 27mpg on the highway. The most I have ever gotten is 29mpg. I would definitely check the sensors, plugs, plug wires and stuff as was already mentioned above.

·
02 Explorer Pioneer
2,880 Posts
One thing to consider is that since you are in Florida we get the same winter gas down here the snowbirds do. My mileage always drops a little until the birds go home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts