TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Alabama Chapter Director
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...it all started on Friday when my car decided not to have cold air on AC anymore and it was running hot...ok I know this is the thermostat...so on Sat. we replaced the thermostat.
Well when we crank the car to let it run and see if the thermostat fixed that problem, the car is idling very wierd! Its acting like I have a dern cam or something...its kind of shaking and sounds awkward.
So, I call up a friend whose family owns a local car shop. I take it over to him on Monday. He finds out that a vacuum hose was leaking and figures that solved the problem and puts a new one on it b/c the other was cut a little too short. He then checks my sparkplugs and what does he find...there is a DIME-yes a coin wedged in with a sparkplug and it had been arcing. He saves the plug for me to see along with the dime..says it had to been done intentionally. Well he puts new plugs in for me also. Aside from the whole "ok how did that get there" wandering in my head..he says the car is fixed. I didnt get the car back until yesterday b/c he was doing some other minor things-nothing to do with under the hood.
Well today as Im driving my car...its still idling really wierd and loud..shakety shakety. I am wondering...do you think it could be bad gas? I think I got gas on Friday and then it started this on Sat. ??
Let me know what you all think it could be and I am going to call dude back and tell him its still not right.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Do a search and Clean your MAF!

Seriously, have you checked to see if the MAF may be dirty? have you reset the computer and let it relearn the idle? How much gas did you get, you might try putting in a different brand of gas to see if it will help.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Is it throwing a code?

If not, did he replace the plug wires also? If it had been arcing, I'd bet the plug boot is ruined.

Just my .02 and good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd try cleaning the MAF and reseting the computer first before changing wires. You can reset the computer by removing fuse #15 (under the hood, it's the fuse to the EEC) and cranking the engine (engine will not fire without the fuse). Then reinstalling the fuse. It's better than just unplugging the battery (you don't lose your radio stations). Good luck.

·
Registered
510 Posts
When I changed my T-stat some coolant ran down into the sparkplug boots and caused a misfire. Pull the boots off & see if they are wet.

·
Registered
515 Posts
W.Cup said:
When I changed my T-stat some coolant ran down into the sparkplug boots and caused a misfire. Pull the boots off & see if they are wet.
yeah that same thing happened to me...but i dont recall the idle being messed up...i should be back in town this weekend and i can look at it for oyu if you want...

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
I would check the coolant temperature sensor. At least I think that's what it is called. It looks kind of like an oxygen sensor, mounted by the thermostat on the intake manifold. 2 wires on it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have probably had bad gas before b/c I've had that problem, too. Only for one day though. Story: before I had any mods I had stopped at a Murphy USA gas station in front of a Wal-Mart and put 93 in. After that, the car would spit sputter and then stall when I stopped. I never put Murphy gas and 93 in after that untill i got a chip. I still ran 89 all the time before that and after that.

To clean your MAF sensor you need a Q tip, securit torx bit T-20, and alot of carefulness and patience

Good luck,

Clay

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Worn motor mounts can make the idle feel rough. You may want to check your motor mounts and see if they are worn out. To do that, I think you need to put the car in gear with your foot firmly on the brake (make sure the car doesn't go anywhere) and give it some gas. Have the hood up so someone can watch the engine. The engine should rotate a little ... mine moves probably a half inch. More suggests bad mounts. Do this in D or 2 to check one side's mount, and do it in reverse to check the other. And make sure you don't run over any friends while doing this. :)

Also, if something is wrong with the engine, you may see a check engine light before long. So that may help diagnose the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts