TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My smog pump was giving me issues (growling and causing a roughish idle) so I decided to bypass it with a smaller belt in case I may need it for emissions in the future.It ran the best it ever had after the bypass... BUT! After about 10 miles on the belt the idler pulley started to growl like a bear at idle! Does anyone know where I can find one of these darn things? It is the pulley attached to the alternator bracket and all the parts stores around here seem to only sell the other idler with the center bolt. Also, I have not really looked closely at it, but I have no clue how to get it off! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
short answer, they dont sell it. they want you to buy the whole tensioner assembly.

what you can do is pull the tensioner off, (on mine its the torx bolt next to the pulley)
then drill out the rivet holding the pulley on, remove the pulley. (be sure to leave enough material inside the center of the pulley bearing so it has a "shoulder" to ride on) Then tap the center with you favorite thread, I used 5/16" course thread and get a bolt to match.

As for the new pulley and bearing, get a gates/dayco 38007 from oreilly/napa/etc. Its the same pulley as the other idler next to the powersteering pump.

This is what I did about a month ago, also had to replace the smog pump, those things are hard to find in the salvage yards.......

good luck

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds a bit involved, but I suppose it's the most cost effective way to do it. I havn't really had a chance to look at it that closely, without seeing it I can't really invision what you're trying to explain. Anyway, Thanks! I was way in the dark before.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts