TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
5,650 Posts
Simple test: Hold your foot firmly on the brake pedal with the car in drive and press on the gas (as if you were wanting to rev the engine). Don't keep your foot on the gas, just press down quick and release. You should hear no clunks or any sounds other than the engine reving up. Noises there will indicate motor mounts.

Another indication is vibrations throughout the car at idle or while driving. This could be the cause of bad mounts. While cruising, a vibration (if not suspension related) could very well be the trans mount. Then again it could also be the driveshaft.

Lastly you could just get under the car. Push up on the transmission and inspect the mount. There should be minimal flex and the mount shouldn't be badly cracked or torn. The trans mount is at the rear of the trans. To check motor mounts, get a piece of wood and put a jack under the oil pan. Jack up the engine slowly while watching the mounts. Normally the driver side mount will go first, and with the weight of the engine off the mount you'll be able to see if it's separated or torn.

--Chris

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Raise the hood so you can watch the motor. Get in and start the car, put your left foot on the brake and put it in drive. Now "slowly" and carefully give it gas with the other foot like you're power-braking it. Watch the motor to see if it raises up off of the mounts (it will flex on the drivers side in drive). If the motor mount is broken you will see the motor rise quite a bit. It will do the same in reverse but on the passanger side and not as pronounced. You'll have to get under the car to check the trans mount. I was getting a bad vibration in the drive train in my car and this is how I checked mine. It's not the best way to check for broken mounts, but it is easy and quick. I just had all of them replaced. What a differance!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks because im only gettin this bad vibration and a loud like metallic somewhat grinding noise when i accelerate hard. thats the only time it does it. when im cruising its fine. also when it does it i can feel somethin moving but i jus cant pin point wut it is. ill check my motor mount tommorow once again thank u guys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts