TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went for an evening stroll to my friend Angel's apartment. Fastest way to get there is via an old abandoned highway that nobody ever uses. I decide that I need a little bit of a rush, 60 soon turns into 80, 80 into 90, right before the needle touches 100 I see a reflection from my headlights in the weeds reading "Sherrif" DO'H!

Anyway, according to the radar I am doing 98 in a 60. Even though the cop was kind of a jerk about it he lowered it to 16 over instead of 38. I guess I had it coming to me, I know it was wrong. I think I am going to go to court to see if I can get it dropped. What do you think my chances are of having it dropped? I got another ticket about 14 months ago, so it's not like I speed all the time. I'm hoping to convince them that even though I was almost triple digits, I was in one of the safest places (for other people) that I could have been in.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
yep, paid a ticket last month for 94 in a 50, and I thanked the police officer who gave the ticket at the end. He could have took me to jail or wrote me for reckless endangerment, instead, he gave me speeding only, and I was able to just go pay it without any chance of losing my license. People badmouth police a lot, but IMO, they give most people the benefit of the doubt, and help you out if they feel you deserve it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you try to get it dropped the Officer will most likely tell the judge of your original speed and the judge will throw the book at you. But what you might be able to do is ask for a defered sentence. If you dont get anymore tickets for ANYTHING!!!!!!!for 6 months to a year then it will not go on your record. He was doing you favor by not giving you a ticket for your near triple digit run. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
yea, i got ticket a short while ago, i was clocked at 70 in a 55, he wrote me up for 65. im going to court though to see if i can get the points dropped and do the probation thing. it is my first ticket, and i am almost 19. i was running late for work, on a road in the middle of cornfields were there is a car like maybe every 5 - 10 minutes. oh, im also a delivery boy for dominos... i dunno, i cant afford higher insurance, but im not blaming the cop, it was my own damn fault for speeding. -greg

·
Registered
493 Posts
I got one, on a highway, 76 in a 55, where the limit is not posted, on 11AM on a Monday with no traffic. The ***** cop didn't lower it at all and at my first hearing she wouldn't lower it any either. This road is 65MPH everywhere else except this ONE LITTLE AREA, and 76 in a 55 is a 4 point ticket, I lose my license for 90 days.

·
TCCoA Bachelor Club Pres.
1,267 Posts
Take what you got, like they said, if you do fight it, the cop will explain you were near 3 digits, and then the judge will get all pissy, and be mad at you. So be glad, otherwise, you will end up like me, my worst night was when I showed up for a court date and was told that I had a warrant out, thus, I got to spend the night in jail, let me tell you, as bad as you think a 16 over ticket is, it DOESN'T compare, to spending time in jail, which is what might happen if you get the 38 over ticket. So just be glad. BTW, no I am not some sorta killer or anything, I happened to miss a court date regarding a ticket that I had gotten over 3 months ago, it just kept gettin put off, til I forgot about it.

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
I would take what you got and run with it. I would go and talk to the city da and see if you can plead guilty and not have it show up on your record. The worst they will say is no and you will have to pay it anyway

·
Formerly known as lfteyechicken
865 Posts
hahaha, gotten that 38 over too, 83 in a 45, except I didn't get no breaks, I got the ticket for just that, 38 over. tried my hardest to get it "fixed" by some higher ups I knew, but no dice, but I went to court, went before to solicitor, plead no lo, was court mandated to attend driving school, 120 hours community service, (built a habitat house, I didn't consider it punishment) write a 500 word essay on why I shouldn't speed, and pay a 500 dollar fine. went back to court when mandates were completed and went back before the solicitor and he dropped the ticket to 19 over, and I didn't loose my license, I was 18 years old mind you. Another cool tidbit about my story, I am such a good bs'er, I wrote my essay 30 minutes b4 court, and the solicitor thought I spent days on it.

My advice, go talk to the departments solicitor, tell him you are a student, (or have a job depending on your driving record, and explain the area where you were pulled over. if the guy is cool, he will probably drop the ticket in exchange for some community service/probation or the like. and just a hint, dress for sucess, you are more likely to have the ticket dropped in a shirt and tie than a tshirt and jeans. Believe it or not, the system works on our behalf. and if you go before the solicitor, the cop wont be there to say the real speed you were going.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
lfteyechicken said:
Just a hint, dress for sucess, you are more likely to have the ticket dropped in a shirt and tie than a tshirt and jeans.
Just don't dress too snazzy, or they'll think you can afford something like that, no prob.
Some cop said I was going like 17 over, when I know I was only going 10, or at most 12 (since I did have my white gauges in, so it's kind of hard to prove it was the right speed) But he gave me a ticket for like 13-14 over, and said he was giving me a good deal. Pissed me off, but I thought I'd pay it before he gets all pissy.

·
Only you can prevent modular fires
1,446 Posts
The only way I could ever see it getting dropped is if the cop made you drop your pants.:eek:

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
So far, it looks like I'm the king of the speeding tickets. 93 in a 50, anyone else got one higher than 43 mph over? And still have a license ( I love OK)

·
High Output Poster
1,491 Posts
I don't know how my ex got away with this, but she got clocked at 102 in a 55. She somehow got the cop to majorly reduce it. The advantages of being a woman I guess.

Copenkagan, I would suggest the same as the others and just go with the reduction the cop gave you and pay the fine.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
My brother had a 97 in a 60 when it was his Cougar. Really sucked. Cost him near $1000.

One of my friends got like 120 or something, and he was still driving. Haven't discussed much about it, since it was before I knew him. I think he's got 12 points on his liscence, or close. I don't know if it was taken away or not. He, another friend and I all got C&I's one night. Even if it's 3 o'clock in the morning, don't drive crazy down even about 2 blocks of road. Go out to the country to do it, or that's what one of the 4 cops told us to do next time. And don't drive around with empty liquor bottles in your car, or worse if they're filled. The guy above had an empty one when he got pulled over, although he didn't give them permission to search his car. The cop also said that he had ratted me out as buying the liquor for him, which I hadn't bought it, but I never got questioned again for it. That's why I don't like some of the cops in our town.

The one that gave us C&I's did say he was cutting us a break, since he knew the other guy in the '89 Z24, who had stupidly passed the other guy on a 2 lane road with a turning lane and was going like 68 in a 35 (going downhill, of course we're gonna speed! almost everyone does, we just didn't see the cop parked in the lot)

Don't drink and drive... :leftright

1 - 16 of 16 Posts