TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just got my new bird on the road and looks like the pressure line to the power steering pump is leaking real bad. I just replaced this fricken line and had to drop the rack to get to the fittings. I cant see whats leaking untill I drop the rack again:mad: Im going to call this car JACKIE. Why because it spends most of its time on the jack:rolleyes: Anyone else have this kind of problem after replacing the pump and pressure line? Its not loose and as far as I can tell it cracked on top of the rack or something.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Here's a thought. Did you replace the plastic (or Teflon) o-ring on the intermediate fitting where it enters the rack? I assume that you had to remove it from the rack in order to lower the rack out of the k-member. (It's also possible that it could have been cracked.)

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Also, it's possible you crossthreaded one of the fittings, so look closely as you are disassembling. When you put those teflon seals on, you did use new ones and were careful not to stretch them too much when you installed them, right?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was the line itself. The teflon gaskets were on the new line so I did not need to stretch them on. Right next to the fitting there was a tiny little crack so Napa replaced the line a no cost. Its just a pain to do it twice. Ive done this on other cars and have never had a problem. The new line was from a diffent company and fit a lot better and came with all the isolaters. I had to reuse them on the other line. Its fixed and does not leak for now.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I just want to mention this for anyone else reading the thread. You have to be careful not to over-tighten the fittings at each end of the pressure line. They are supposed to be able to swivel a little once they reach the proper torque. All the special seals will keep them from leaking. If you go too tight, you will probably break parts.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They now put tags on all the fittings telling you what to torque each part to. I did replace the one on the rack. It was hard to find here for some reason. Went to 4 places befor finding them at auto zone. These are one time seals and need to be replaced anytime you remove one for what ever reason.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I am having power steering issues as well....sometimes randomly when I'm turning my wheels, the p/s just gives out, and I'm using muscle :confused:
I think there is garbage or something that got in the p/s storage when I had it at carspa last year....any ideas?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If you take the PS pump off, you can separate the reservoir from the pump body and check / clean it out. If there's nothing there, you might put it back together and try flushing the lines (disconnect the return line at the pump reservoir, plug the hole in the reservoir, fill the reservoir with clean fluid, and turn the pump by hand. Add more fluid as needed, and turn until the fluid runs clear out of the return hose.) If that doesn't help, I think you may have an internal problem in the rack, or maybe the pump.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I hate to say this but u problem have a stripped line I would try to re-tap the line on the rack I have seen this problem a million times I race return line getdtriped on the rack.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts