TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen: I have a problem.

Wife's 96 4.6 stock Cat (68K) started making a rattling/ squealing noise from the front of the engine. I have never heard this kind of noise in my lenghty career with cars (1949 Chev on up!). At first, I thought one of the pulley bearings was going out. I drove it a while longer and the noise went strictly to a loud rattle of sorts. I removed the serpintine belt and checked all the pullys for bad bearings. They all felt and turned good. I started the car with the belt off and the noise continues. Any ideas? It looks like (in my service manual) the only things that can get loose under a cover are the timing belt tensioner and spring and possibly a camshaft mounting bolt. The engines runs smooth so a cylinder is not out due to a sunk lifter or rocker arm.

I don't have the time to tear into it until the weekend due to work stuff.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony:(

·
On Probation
2,019 Posts
This could be a possiability but it is free and a lot easier than tearinging into the engine. I noticed that the car has 70 k on the clock. It could have build up on the maf wires making the car run lean detonating like a rattle. I would get a t-20 anti tamper and pull the maff and gently brush the wires with a Qtip and rubing allcolhol till the wires are shinny and reinstall. There is also the possiability that you have a partily stuck lifter. If you were to pour a bottle of maverals mistery oil into the crank case and run the car for a day or two and change the oil it could remove the varnish causing the lifter to stick. Dextron/mercon transmission fluid in the crank case also workes great but you can't leave it in as long. If you use transmission fluid put a quart in and run the car 15 minuites shut it down and let it set over night and run it again 15-30 minutes and shut off and drain the oil. transmission fluid has a lot of detergents and anti varnish agents inside it. How ofter do you see a transmission that has a lot of varnish in it? It is almost never unless it is being cooked totaly for a very short period of time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Guys:

Thanks! There is no detonation going on. This is a serious noise! It sounds like hell! The MAF is clean and the oil is synthetic from day one. I put CD-2 in the crankcase to see if it was a lifter originally.

I used Marvel Mystery Oil in my Chevy truck for 10 years and NEVER had a mechanical problem (200K). Take heed guys; Marvel-It's a solvent based oil and will lower the oil viscosity and keep your engine real clean (thanks blown96bird). The trans has been serviced recently and is in great shape. Those heat shields will be checked tomorrow as I never thought of that as a possibility. I will report back tomorrow.

Thank you very, very much!

Tony;)

Edit: NO CEL or codes are thrown.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Check your a/c compressor clutch. could be going bad. happened to me.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I had my water pump go bad and cause this problem. The impeller broke in it. The bearing never went bad. It happened at about 90k. Have you ever changed the water pump? These water pumps are simple to change they don't even have a gasket just an O-ring.
Alan

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. I have removed the serpintine belt and started the engine without the water pump and A/C compressor spinning. The noise is still there so those two are ruled out along with the power steering pump, the idler pully (it's new anyway), and the tensioner pulley. The noise is definately in the engine.

Tony:(

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
That sucks. A friend of mine had a front engine squeak on 97 explorer engine. We replaced all of the pulley bearings and the water pump and the squaek was still there. Turned out to be the cam sensor in the front of his engine. I wish I could say yours was something that minor.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is really rattling around. It sounds like something is in the timing chain cover or the head covers. I'll pull it apart this weekend.:mad:

Tony

1 - 9 of 9 Posts