TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my car shifts in to second, either coming up from first or down from third, it's pretty rough at best and at worst (typically under heavy throttle) basically goes in to neutral before clunking in to gear when I let off the gas.

From the searching I did, this is probably the intermediate one-way clutch or something like that, and there's not much I can do about it except get a new tranny. Is this correct, or might it be something else?

If it is this fatal flaw, what can I do to prolong its life? Obviously trying to avoid hard shifts in to 2, but would launching in 2 and then shifting up to once at speed, thus basically avoiding in-motion shifts in to 2 altogether be of any use?

I was planning on doing a manual swap anyways, but not until next summer, and I can't have it losing the trans during the school year when I'll be at an apartment with nowhere to work on it.

edit: also, if it does die sooner than I'd like, which would be cheaper: t-45 swap or newer auto?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Could be a bad MLPS or maybe a broken 1-2 accum. spring I would think. Of course the 1-way clutch is prob. going as well. This is the exact same symptoms that my 95 started showing before it flashed the O/D light and started slipping. I would start saving for a new trans.

If you want a good auto built, I would contact Darren and Alan (dirtyd0g) for this. They seem to be the best bet for a quality rebuild.

Jay

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darrin said:
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to do a manual swap?
Darrin
I like manuals more. I realize a well built automatic can perform just as well (not to mention put more power through the same drivetrain thanks to the cushioning effect of the TC), but there's just something enjoyable about shifting gears myself.

Also, I used to drive a Crown Vic, where I was also considering a manual swap even though it takes a considerable amount more work on that car than this one.

When I bought this car, I was torn between a 4.6 and a S/C. I wanted the manual bad enough to consider giving up a V8 and backing down to EEC-IV. My love for eight cylinders won out, but I still want 5 (really 6, but I can't afford a T56) gears and a clutch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts