TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being that it was nice today I decided to take the car out on a little joy ride.
I got up to about 100 before I noticed a bad exhaust smell. The car wasn't heating up or anything like that, the exhaust just started to smell really really bad.
Then the check engine light came on.
So I got off the gas and it started to slow down and the smell started to go away.
However the check engine light went on and off about 3 more times.
My first guess is either the cat. converter based on the smell, or the o2 sensor, based on the light. No one around here has a scanner that I can use without paying 80bux for it so I just want to hear what some of you guys think about it first.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
go to auto zone and have them test it for you:cool:

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
You can get the codes using a paperclip, I don't know if Autozone does pre OBD-II cars or not. I bought a 20 dollar OBD-I reader since I have the 89 Cougar, my parents have 3 OBD-I cars, and at the time I had another OBD-I car. Makes it easier but you can do it many ways.

I think it sounds like the car was running super rich, or incomplete combustion. Probably have an O2 code about a rich condition, but I would get the codes and see.

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Advance Auto lends out a reader that does both OBD I and II cars. they will also print out the codes. ALL THIS IS FREE.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so I was heading out to either Autozone or Advance. I was on my way down there and the check engine light went off. It still has a bad smell but no light anymore.
I notice that the light comes on, the smell gets stronger, and the car loses power whenever its warm outside.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
advance doesnt let you borrow a machine, i work there lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
when the cars on and you start to getting that bad smell pull over and get out of the car and look under it usually if cats are on there way out they start to glow red try doing that next time

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
GCline, I work at Advance #5001. We program the scanner and let people take it to the lot to read their codes, then we print them out for them.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
yeah sounds like cats. i would just go buy a code reader dude, they're cheap for obd I, i would imagine your throwing a code from your o2 sensors. try unplugging your battery for awhile to reset the computer. see if it does it again.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
PCD said:
GCline, I work at Advance #5001. We program the scanner and let people take it to the lot to read their codes, then we print them out for them.
It depends on the area. I worked at an Advance in North Carolina and we did the same thing. When I came back up to Delaware the local Advance doesn't offer that service. Now I'm at a Pepboys and that really sucks. lol.

The Stevinator said:
yeah sounds like cats. i would just go buy a code reader dude, they're cheap for obd I, i would imagine your throwing a code from your o2 sensors. try unplugging your battery for awhile to reset the computer. see if it does it again.
Yea I'm probably going to just buy the code reader and then go from there. It would be a good excuse to get some high flow cats though.

I did try and pullover one day to see if the cats were glowing and they weren't so I never really thought they were the problem. But you never know.

Thanks for your input guys.:)

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
well it may be that they already burned up. The honeycombs may have just totally deteriorated already. Do they make a rattling sound?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, no rattling sound at all. The car doesn't sound any different or anything like that. Just a really bad smell. Its to the point where sometimes you have to crack the window because its starts to smell inside the car now.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
sounds like a baby climbed into your tailpipe and you just roasted it. good job, that'll make an interesting episode of "without a trace"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts