TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to start my car after getting the new eginie in but it will not turn over.Well battery was dead so I replaced it, still will not turn over but cranks alot faster than it did. Everything is wired correctly and voltages check out. Would a dead starter still turn the motor? What else might cause it not to fire (plugs and wires are good/new)

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
if it cranks...it shouldnt be the starter...when the starter goes bad...u hear a click...nothing happens...check the cap and rotor...check the coil too

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
To check if your starter is bad, turn the key to the on position (but don't crank it) then go into the engine bay and connect the prongs of the solenoid behind the battery with a screwdriver (make sure you hold the plastic handle part :eek: ) and if it doesn't do anything, then it's probably the starter. If it makes the car start, then replace that little solenoid, it's 10 bucks.
-Thomas

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My starter and selnoid are one unit, it cranks by jumping or with the key just wont fire. Oh and I'm DIS (using the coil pack from the new enigne).

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Oh I wasn't aware Ford got rid of the two solenoid system in 96. My car has a solenoid behind the battery and one on the starter (we have the same starter)
-Thomas

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Did you prime the oil pump before you tried to start the engine? I know that may sound weird, but it really can cause a no-start condition. I just figured that out Monday, after trying to get my mom's van started for about 2 weeks. It's been out of service for a little while because I had to do some engine work. Therefore, the oil pump was only sucking air. It wouldn't start until I primed it.

Ford recommends that you either use an oil pump priming tool or use the starter to prime the pump.

If you get the tool, you remove the distributor (or cam position sensor on the newer cars), insert the tool, and use a power drill to spin the oil pump. (Making sure you are going the right way, of course.)

To use the starter, Ford says to disconnect power to the fuel injection system, and then crank the car over for 15 seconds, rest for 15 seconds, crank for 15, etc.

I got nervous after about 10 seconds of cranking, so I never went the full 15. It took me about 6 or 8 cycles of this to get a good amount of oil flow. I could tell because I had the front-side valve cover off, so I could see the oil pooling on the rockers. The "proper" way to check the oil flow would be to use a pressure gauge.

The van started right up after I did that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts