TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all,the moderators can feel free to move this if it's in the wrong category,but I didn't know where to post it.So anyway,I drive my car down the road,and I can feel the steering wheel move back and forth,about two inches each way.Its had this for a while,but it's been getting worse lately.It's getting to the point where I don't want to drive it,because it's so hard to keep the car in a straight line.To keep the car from wandering on the road I have to keep a death grip on the steering wheel.There is no vibration that accompanies it,wheel bearings are tight and in good shape,tire pressure is at 30-35 PSI,new struts up front,coil springs in the rear.The power steering had a leak in the line,but that has been fixed.This really bothers me though,because I can take my hands off of the steering wheel,and watch it move back and forth.Any thoughts are welcome,I really need to get this fixed ASAP!

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
Sounds like a bad set of lower ball joints and/or a bad rack/pinion.
JL

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
The best thing to do is watch things move while womeone moves the steerng wheel. First with the car off, and then with the car running. That will show where the play is.

In addition to what JL said, the only thing I can think of would be a very bad rag joint or possibly the EVO in the power steering not functioning properly and giving you full power assist at cruising speed. I've never had that happen but if it makes the car drive like the old Ford cars (like my truck and cougar), it can make you look like you're driving drunk!! :leftright

Just some thoughts. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah,I already looked underneath,and so far the only thing that is loose is the bushings on the part that is the steering stop.When you go to tighten the wheel,it allows the wheel to move forward.I can see the brake disc move forward from the caliper when I tighten the wheel.Also,isn't there a way to disconnect the variable assist in the power steering? I thought I remembered that someone said there was a plug underneath the glovebox that I could unplug,and that controls the variable assist?How can I tell if the tierods are bad?And there is no play in the steering,it's still tight.And it does make you feel like you're drunk,I'm all over my lane!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found out that it's the variable assist that's acting up.If I unplug the "brain" that controls the assist,my problem goes away.So,is there a way I can test the components of the system?Or am I stuck with full assist all the time?Thanks for your help!:cool:

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Go to a yard and get another one, prob solved :cool:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Pony Boy said:
I found out that it's the variable assist that's acting up. If I unplug the "brain" that controls the assist, my problem goes away. So, is there a way I can test the components of the system? Or am I stuck with full assist all the time? Thanks for your help!:cool:
It may not be the variable assist module. It could be the module, the EVO itself, or other sensors. I know the variable assist has multiple sensors (including one on the steering column). Or at least I think it does... I don't have an EVTM with me so I'm pulling this from memory.

You might want to check the connections on all the sensors before you spend any money. IIRC, it uses the speed sensor (probably ok if you aren’t getting a CE light from the EEC), a sensor on the steering column, and I don’t know if it has a feedback line from the EVO to tell the variable assist module what the EVO is doing or not.

I would also do another real good inspection of all the ball joints, etc. By disconnecting the variable assist, while it may be better and seem like it fixed your problem, it may only be masking it since you basically removed the power assist. (I'm not sure if the variable assist's failure mode is full power assist, or no power assist)

Just some thoughts before you spend any money. :thumbsup:

OH, and am I good or what: :D
94DD said:
… or possibly the EVO in the power steering not functioning properly and giving you full power assist at cruising speed.

·
3,232 Posts
When the speed sensitive system fails,it's full power assist.
JL

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Johnny Langton said:
When the speed sensitive system fails,it's full power assist.
JL
So the signal from the module reduces the orifice size in the EVO limiting the assist pressure. If you unplug it at the pump or at the module, that allows the EVO to fully open applying full pressure to the R&P.

Do I have that right?

And on a side note: Will an CE lights get thrown with a variable assist problem? It's a stand alone system, right?

·
3,232 Posts
No light-it's a stand-alone system on our cars. I accidently left the pump unplugged after an oil change one time,and drove it like that for a week...noticed that the steering was a bit loose feeling,and remembered that I had unplgged the pump. Plugged it back up,and voila'..back to normal again.
JL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts