TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, it's a stock '95 LX 4.6 with 140k and a bad tap sound started coming from the passenger side head. Thought it might be an exhaust leak but saw some whitish smoke coming from the exhaust so I figured it's gonna be more expensive. So my dilemma is should I just get the head fixed, do a PI swap or start looking at rebuild/swap. The engine runs strong except for the tap. I don't have the time to do the repairs myself so I'd probably send it off to my mechanic. Just want some input from some others about what route to go. He quoted me roughly $1k to do a 32v swap, and I've found a couple in the area around $500.
TIA

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
do the 32 valve swap for that price, seriously though on that engine compression test it, is it more of a tick, or a slap, or a clack?

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
he quoted you 1k to do the swap provided you provide all the parts?

if you figure 1500, better have close to 3 set aside.. dohc swap = double your intended budget

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a very loud tick. If I didn't know it was overhead cam, I'd say it was a lifter, but unfortunately, I know very little about working on OHCs. I really don't have time to tear it apart and figure out what it is. I've already had a couple people ask if it's for sale but I really don't want to sell it, it's a great car, but I know I don't have 3k to drop into it either. It's not my DD so there's no rush. But I do need to do something with it.

·
Super Moderator
10,278 Posts
The 'rocker arm', tappet, cam follower, or whatever it is in our heads is known to fall out; causing a bunch of noise.

It causes a serious miss, that cylinder never hits; and if it ends up in the wrong spot, it can cause some damage.

Take the valve cover off and look; if there a piece laying in the bottom of the head, that's it. :)

Seems like you can pop it back in with a screwdriver? No, that's coming out.

You have to collapse the hydraulic 'pivot' that it moves on, and it will go back in, with some effort.

Sorry about the terminology; Can't remember what those parts are called.

There is a thread with pics, here somewhere...

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
cam follower, and hydraulic lash adjuster would be correct terms, but yes that is a good place to start, as many know I myself have a bad lash adjuster that drives me bonkers up to 1500rpm, one day I'll replace it, my cam followers are still there so I'm not too worried about it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help guys...I'll try to look into it this weekend if I have time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts