TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as i have narrowed it down to so far is that my car needs a new tps or new torque converter...thats what i have gotten from people, and i'd like to think i dont need a new converter...some tell me that i need to flush my whole tranny, i said no to that, and now im gona try to get a new tps sensor...all im asking is why does my car sputter everytime i try to accelerate while moving...what are some symptoms of a bad tps????

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
You could have a dirty or defective MAF sensor,

or a spark plug or plug wire going bad.

A brand new Bosch TPS sensor costs under $15, so just buy one and swap it in.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whitecat7 said:
Also...Make sure you get those TPS reports in.
Did ya get that memo?? uh..yeeeaaahhh.
how do i do that???

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rolling-Thunder said:
You could have a dirty or defective MAF sensor,

or a spark plug or plug wire going bad.

A brand new Bosch TPS sensor costs under $15, so just buy one and swap it in.
another quick question, where did u find a tps for that good of a deal, i checked around here and the cheapest i can get from a store is $36 and is some shaddy brand, or get a motorcraft for $32 with a ford discount...where can i get a bosch??

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
I bought the TPS sensor about 4 years ago, from wrenchhead.com

They wanted $13, and Advance auto wanted $15.

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol...im stupid

·
Registered
566 Posts
smokymance said:
...some tell me that i need to flush my whole tranny, i said no to that,
It doesn't sound like the TC but why are you opposed to flushing the tranny fluid? Clean Merc V is a good thing.

Joe

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im not really opposing the tranny flush, the story is that when i went to a tranny shop, after hearing that this guy is good, he told me that changing the fluid isnt that bad, but if you flush the tranny, he said you might as well come in the next week here to change your whole transmission, he told me something about high milage cars and tranny flushes but i dont remember, but i do want to switch to merc v fluid, even though it is like $70 for just the fluid, now all i need help from you guys is: FLUSH THE WHOLE SYSTEM AND PUT MERC V IN THERE, OR JUST DROP THE PAN AND DRAIN WHATS IN IT, AND THEN PUT MERC V IN THERE??? i dont know anything about transmissions and ill take you guys's word over anyone at the tranny shops...thanks a lot so far...

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
any ideas? would flush really distroy my tranny

·
Registered
566 Posts
smokymance said:
im not really opposing the tranny flush, the story is that when i went to a tranny shop, after hearing that this guy is good, he told me that changing the fluid isnt that bad, but if you flush the tranny, he said you might as well come in the next week here to change your whole transmission, he told me something about high milage cars and tranny flushes.
What he is talking about is on older/high mileage cars if the fluid has never been changed (or not often enough) changing it now will cause more harm than good.

The idea is that the transmission has been working with fluid that has completely broken down and contains metal debris. The transmission should be rebuilt and will only function with the current bad fluid. If you change the fluid the car may not go into gear. If you feel the transmission is that far gone you can either:

1) don't change the fluid and wait for the tranny to completely fail
2) change the fluid and run the risk that the car won't go into gear and you'll have to rebuild.

Perhaps someone else can provide a more scientific explanation, but that's the general idea.

I'm not saying that your transmission is necessarily in this kind of shape but this is why you were cautioned by the mechanic against changing fluid.

There are some good instructions here on completely flushing the fluid.
http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/flushing.html

Joe

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks...i dont know what to do, i wouldnt know if my tranny is on the line of failing or not, my car had 84k on the clock when i changed my fluid, and i think the owner before me had never changed it. i changed my fluid (as im thinking for the first time) at 84k then again like 5k after, now that the car has 100k+ on it, would it be recomended just to change the fluid, not flush, to merc v??

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hmmmm. Well, I wouldn't flush the tranny....but going to MERCRON V would be good. If you're tranny lasted this long....then you might be one of the lucky ones. When you changed the fluid the first and second time......was it brownish in color or still a descent redish color??? DId it smell "burnt" at all ???

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
tell you the truth i dont really remember, my dad did it at his friends shop, only thing i know its that he told me that it was a good idea to change it, since there was a little extra metal particles on the pan...then he changed it again, but now its redish and up to level, and if i can describe how it smells now its like dust or something like that, what would the burnt fluid really smell like, when u mean burnt that is...

·
Registered
49 Posts
If the fluid has not been changed on a car with milage that high, most recommend NOT changing it..

As for the TPS, you could try testing it..

With the ignition on, but motor not running. at WOT, it should have a voltage of around 4.5 volts..

I cant remember the idle voltage....

I would set the probes on the sensor, and slowly increase throttle.. If the voltage doesnt smoothly increase to around 4.5 volts, you have a bad sensor...

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so i take the sensor off?

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
allright...thanks man...im gona try that today....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts