TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My very recently purchased TBird shakes when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. So I brought it to local shop who recommends having the transmission rebuilt and quoted me $1200.

The TBird has 111k on it with original everything really. From what I've read on the boards it sounds like the transmission has reached the point of needing a rebuild or replacement.

So, what is my best option here? Do I have it rebuilt? Is $1200 a fair quote? Should I get it replaced entirely and if so with what and from where?

If I have it rebuilt, is there anything I should have them do to the transmission while doing so that isn't normally done...like the JMod thing I keep reading about or transmission cooler? I am not looking to race it or drive it like a 16 yr old who just got their license but I am looking to keep the car for as long as possible and keep it running like new.

Thanks in advance....and sorry for the noob questions!

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,367 Posts
Hang on a second... are you positive it's the transmission itself and not the fluid? The converter locks on a 2-3 and if the fluid is past its prime, you'll get the dreaded torque converter shudder as it locks up.

New fluid is under $100 and might be a good idea before you consider something so drastic as a rebuild... :)

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I'm not sure how close you are but I have a couple newer transmissions here that I am looking to part with.

-Bryan

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car is at the shop now having front shocks replaced, alignment, etc.

I'll have them do a transmission fluid change too while their at it. Would be nice if that did the trick. Other than the shudder between 2nd and 3rd it drives fine.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am having the same issue on the 2-3 shift. I didn't think anything of it because it doesn't have the overdrive shudder, but I was going to flush the trans anyway. Mobil1 Mercon V is $10 a quart nowadays and it would be $130+ to do the job, but it's still cheaper than a new trans. It just broke 91k miles and it would be a shame if it already needs to be replaced.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts